• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Son Using the Deuce

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I Just want to know if anyone has advise for Christian and Noah as they will be offloading my duece to the M127 and then using it to haul scrap metal to the recycle yard. How thick do you think they can stack rebar in the bed before it gets too heavy?

I am conditioning the use on being careful, filling it up with diesel and taking pictures and posting them here. He thinks he can make some good doe with the amount of rebar he is has been given.

I am not going to charge them other than what I mentioned I just hope they are catching OD fever like I have.

TommyG45

Army,

It's the trip to Cleveland I am worried about, thats a long haul for two young strapping men. That stuff would sure look nice in my cement pad for my pole barn.

On a serious note, RESPECT dad's truck, if that rules the day, all will go well and safe. Is it straight stock, or twisted. If it's twisted, they may not be able to get enough on there to make an extreme weight difference. I would tell them you would really like to see them at the end of the day, no joke, make sure what ever you put on it, comes to a complete stop.. No chances, no jokes, just good common sense, and oh yeah, don't scratch Dad's truck.

And turn down the radio when you get out rofl

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks TommyG
I am a bit far away to keep track of this (9,000miles) but they recovered my M1031 and M109 for me a few weeks ago with no major issues. I want to help them out since they both opted out of college and are working men.

TommyG45

Dave,

I think thats great, for some reason I was thinking they were younger, but there is nothing wrong with good hard work to earn a buck. Cant wait to see the pics. When are they going for the loads ?

Tommy

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Christian said they would work on transfering the equipment in the duece on Saturday and I am hoping they document it all for me I have not been home but a few months in the last six years. To be honest I am looking forward to retirement.

CGarbee

Tell the boys to estimate the size(s) of the rebar that they are loading (or just read the sizes off the bars as they are stamped in--but they may be unreadable due to adheared concrete, etc.) and the length of the bars and to use the standard weights to calculate the load... Although the truck can handle more than then dataplate states, I wouldn't let them go over five tons on-highway just because I wouldn't want them to stress anything or have issues in during the trip...

I can't figure out how to get the table to post without losing the formating, so use the attached file to see a standard table of weights showing both pounds per foot and for a standard bundle of 20' long pieces (and showing the number per bundle)...

If you can't pull up the table, you can interpolate from these exerpts:
160 pieces of #4 bar (0.5" nominal, 9/16" actual) 20' long weigh 2138 lbs
48 pieces of #8 bar (1" nominal, 1-1/8" actual) 20' long weigh 2563 lbs
28 pieces of #11 bar (1.41" nomimal, 1-5/8" actual) 20' long weigh 2975 lbs

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am not surprized the price dropped the won here in Korea is lower than it was when I was here in 97. Pretty good deals out on the economy her right now. They have been selling scrap for some time and I hope he loggs on and checks this thread. Thanks for the information and advice.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scrap here was at a high of $320 a ton in July. Right now it's at $40 a ton :shock: . If you're not in bad need of cash I'd hold on to it a while and see what prices do.

CGarbee

My take on the drop in prices (and I could be woefully off, but hey...):

The Chinese finished their Olympic building program (for the actual games) some time ago, Three River Gorges Dam (also in China) is no longer sucking up steel and cement like a giant black hole...

For the rest of the world, factory orders and construction (public works and developement such as shopping centers, office parks ect.) is all down...

One of our members who works at a steel mill was telling me yesterday that they are selling about ten percent of the material this month that they sold this time last year, and most of their product is rebar... I work with a lot of quarries, pipe, and guardrail producers and they have all seen similar sales drops this year...

As soon as the next administration gets in place, reguardless of party, epect to see measures taken to free up highway construction funds (among other things) in an effort to get things moving again.

My understanding is that a lot of the raw materials used in construction (for instance) are actually purchased with credit -- owners/develpers never pay up front but actaully retain funds with each payment to ensure that the project is actually completed and done to specifications, but this means that a supplier earlier in the process (and everyone else) is relying a lot on the cash flow of existing projects and credit to help fund newer projects, and the market situation (especially lender confidence) isn't good right now and has been going downhill since mid-summer...

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I talked to Christian he is still going to pick the steel up and see what he can get for it. I really don't mind if he leaves it on the duece for a while if the price is gonna go up soon but I do not want it on long. Good news is my duece will be empty again and I can finally rhino line the bed when I get home.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
papercu said:
It was posted on site back in Aug that prices was going down. Maybe m16ty will post back and let us know if/when they are going back up. Wayne

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=25632&postdays=0&postorder=asc
The guy I get my info from usually has a pretty good read on the scrap market but at this time all bets are off. He told me it was going down before it happened but he had no idea it would be this much. Scrap is traded as a commodity and is tied to the stock market and everybody know where it's at right now. What I've been hearing is it's expected to go up some by the first of the year but may never reach what it did a few months ago (at least in the near future).

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks I am hoping one of my sons loggs on and gets a hint from this that they need to price it out before selling it off. I told him the conditions on using it are getting pictures posted here as well as filling it up with diesel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks