• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Tatra T815 VT 8x8

Rusty Loads

Yup,383. It's like a boat...a hole you pour money into. Yes, 2nd starter is on the opposite side of flywheel. Identical part of course. Picture is looking down through 1 of 2 hatches on platform showing solenoids that perform various functions from shifting to diff-locking.(all the same part# methinks). I believe one of them is my high/ low range! This is an old pic but the area still needs a bit of re-working.:D

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rusty loads that is going to be a very interesting truck to learn, but it looks like it would be worth every second of time required! I love getting new trucks and learning all the new systems associated with them. This is a true beauty! Keep the pics coming and have fun it looks like there is a LOT of it to be had with this one!
Karl

Carlo

Looks good! The 815 double cab are hard to come by. Most are single cab. I sold my 813 Kolos 2 years back. I miss it for being unique. I had high tire wear on the rears till I learned from a CZ collector to always travel with some weight to keep the tires flat on the road service.

Rusty Loads

Thanks for the interest guys. Good point about loading the rear-you can see that coming as the truck sits empty the 2 rear axles have the ol' vw type inward cant. As the truck squats those axles flatten out. I am thinking with these tires (which have a more square profile) than the stock tires the wear would be more pronounced. It is a learning curve for sure but having owned Unimogs since 1989 and doing more and more work myself on them has helped. Some of the repairs on this I have/will farm out. Had the clutch done at a Heavy Truck repair facility. Surprisingly the plate is not much bigger than the ones on my Unimogs. Had the paint work done by a paint shop. Here are a few pics-hope I'm not duplicating! Better shot of solenoids and a shot of the winch platter.

Attachments

northstar alberta

Hi, I have 2 T815 8X8 in Alberta. One has a multi lift and the other one has knuckle boom crane. I have quite a bit of parts (new and used) and I would like to know where you get your parts. I bought my units in CR and Slovakia last year and I am very impressed by the beasts! My Unimog 2150L38 looks like a toy compare to these trucks... I am not in the business of selling trucks or parts but if someone needs somethings I import parts for my trucks almost every months. I am looking a sharing freight costs if somebody is interested or trades parts as well.20150505_175057.jpgIMG_2447.jpg
My kids love the Tatra so much they would really love to ride in a crew cab like yours... Thanks, Francis

Rusty Loads

Hey Francis,
Congratulations! Those ain't no old military buckets by the looks of them. Those look brand new-or close to it! (facelifts?) And it looks like you are on your way to the holy trinity of off-road vehicles. Unimog, Tatra...(in my case it's a Hagglunds BV206 6 cylinder)... (but I know that will start a few arguments) :D. Before I try and answer your question my question to you would be: Can the Tatra be profitable in NA? I just finished 6 seasons of snow removal with a Unimog 1700 (1977) and it never let me down. Not once. So we have the same question in the Unimog community-with the cost of the trucks plus expensive parts and lack of service network-can a business make a profit using these machines? My Tatra is mostly a collector piece with the odd stint on a movie or TV show. I think if it was thrashed every day it would require quite a bit more attention.
Now, with regards to parts...and I will add the proviso your results may vary-and also the other Tatra owners on here may have different opinions. I have bought parts from 4 or 5 companies now including the Tatra factory. They are all fairly helpful and usually have someone that speaks English (Czech doesn't appear to be an easy language to learn but it's on my list). Skarab has the best website (or at least it did last time I looked). Best prices and quick service so far has been ATH. Don't want to bore everyone here with more of this so I sent you a PM. Cheers.

Rusty Loads

Rusty Loads,

What is the turning circle of your Tatra 8x8? What sort of mpg are you getting out of it?
Hey now...I did a 10,000 km trip and drove it a little faster than it likes..AKA..95-100 kph at times...It really likes 85 kph. With that said I'm getting roughly 6 US miles per gallon. For an almost 40,000 lb. vehicle (including camperised Zeppelin container/ shelter) I don't think it's that bad. As long as I drive it once every 15 years I'll be able to afford fuel lol.
Turning circle..I have to check the spec. Lets put it this way for now...in Moab I had do some 3 point turns on the switchbacks. Nerve-wracking going down...not so bad climbing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks