• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My tranny's shifting points seem to vary wildly.

Knightmare

I was driving my old girl around town today, and the shifting seemed a little funny to me. Granted this is only the 4th day I've had her out on the town, I had some small issues with her that I got sorted out, so I don't have a ton of experience with these things.

While she was cold, or semi cold even, I got nice firm shifts, 1 at ~25, the next at 40-45. After we had been driving for 15 minutes or so, the shifts became less firm, and it stays in second for shorter periods of time. I even caught the truck shifting out of 2nd after one second, effectively skipping it.

My tranny fluid looks fine, but doesn't smell that good, it smells burnt.

I understand the trans should shift differently when under different load, but while cold, it doesn't want to shift early, and when warm, I can't stop it from shifting early. My input doesn't seem to matter much.

Am I just being paranoid? Does this sound normal? Or maybe the early symptoms of a tranny rebuild?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change your vacuum hoses first. test your vacuum pump second(replace if bad). try adjusting your vacuum valve third(replace if bad). Replace your vacuum modulator, last.

All of the proper test procedures for shifting issues, are listed in the TMs.

If that don't fix ya, you may have a bad Governor or a serious internal issue.

You have downloaded and saved all the Tech Manuals for the CUCV, right?

fwiw, I have new vacuum valves for sale in the classifieds. CUCV Vacuum Valves

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks