• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My truck tried to start itself!?

Torch

The other day my girlfriend went to start my 1009 and she said when she turned the key it made like a whining sound. She turned the key back off and took it out of the ignition. When she got out of the truck the truck started cranking by itself. Has anyone heard of this?? Does it mean the starter **** the bed cause when you turn the key you get nothing!? I just put in the starter.

Thanks

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

rsh4364

Same thing happened to me,Its called runaway starter.I replaced fusible links and thought since starter was new it should be okay,After replacing fusible links and re-installing starter I turned key and roasted my interior wiring harness..Do the doghead mod and have starter checked before re using!

Jack Lope

I made a video of the Doghead Starter Relay Mod. It's on Youtube. Title: "CUCV - Doghead Starter Relay mod"
If I can do it.......

Torch

I found it Jack. Once I got my truck back I figured it out and now I know what that big round plug is. LOL! Haven't finished it yet but I'll post here later if it did the trick.

Thanks again

Torch

Well I did the doghead mod & went from turning the key and getting nothing to turning the key & getting click. I checked the fuses and they were ok so I dropped the starter to reach the terminals and I'm not getting anything to the starter. Where else are there fusible links? I HATE electric!

Torch

Starter issues part II

Well after doing the doghead relay and replacing the starter I got about one round of starting and I'm back to click click click!?!? What are the 2 relays that sit next to the doghead relay? I've checked the fuses which the only one that is questionable is 12 which according to the diagram is the volt meter which I'm not sure how much power should be going to it without the truck running. right now with the key on or off I get just a little bit of power there. I need ALL the help I can get! I'm disabled so I can't afford to take it to a shop.

Thanks

Joe

richingalveston

Sounds like all the work may have drained your batteries. Charge them up good then see what happens. With all the shorts going on, one of your batteries may have gone south on you.

Torch

Both batteries are at 12 volts. When I put the 2 relays in next to the doghead I heard a "spark" but it's all plastic so I don't know what it might have been.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks