• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My truck was stuck at the beach & I can't get it started.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glow Plugs are only new, before you take them out of the box and install them. After that, they can burn out in a second(20 or more is more likely).

Remember, in stock form, when one blows(or has a bad connection), they all are more likely to blow.

I'd test them individually and test the relay output voltage while they are activated.

original

I had a problem with my glow plug controller card once. After finding no power on the glow plugs, I jumped my glow plug solenoid over with a wrench for about 15 seconds. Make sure the key is on when you do this and quickly attempt to start the truck afterwards. The truck started fine with this method. I later replaced the controller and all was resolved. I wouldn't recommend this method, unless your in a bind. Good luck, mate.

original

You might also look at the 24v-12v resistor that is centered on the fire wall. If this is bad you will need to bypass it. I would recommend bypassing even if it isn't bad. They are a waste of battery power. I've had 3 of them go bad and start smoking.

the spotted zebra

OK, some good ideas now. I checked for power at the glow plugs, with a test light. All had power with the glow plugs activated. I have grounded the relay & had power on the output of the relay (again, testing with a test light). Possible I am passing voltage, but no amps through the relay? I can easily bypass the relay & retest. Remember that I removed the glow plug card & grounded the relay & that the glow plug system has been converted to 12V. The whole thing with the plugs being wet after cranking is making me lean towards a glow plug issue. I brought all the old glow plugs back with me & bench tested them. All were cherry red 10-15 seconds after applying voltage to them.

Plenty of fuel, at least to the filter. Compression loss seems to be unlikely. The truck ran fine last time I drove it & it sounds normal when cranking. I considered the possibility of rodent damage, but I see no reason to suspect anything at this time.

I'm going to take our wrecker down Friday night & bring her back on Saturday. I plan to try a few things before I tow it home. I would much rather drive it back than tow it.

I will check in tomorrow, before I go. Just to see if there are any last minute words of wisdom.

Thanks - Darren

greenmonster

I am not going to get in a peeing match with anyone but just because you have fuel at filter it does not mean you have what you need for injection pump. The injectors fire at 2000 psi or so... if it is aerated the injection pump will not hit that mark. They are a pop off style injector so it needs to see a specific pressure for it to even fire fuel into the cyl. Just this week we recovered a m931a2 from nellis and it would not start had fuel to injection pump and filter. We pressurized tank and found a rotten line from tank switching valve the line was dry as a bone and no visible leaks. When we pressurized tank it had about half a dozen small pin holes in it that just barely bubbled fuel under pressure. I also had one with a slight leak at the fuel pump it ran for 200miles then all the sudden it died I reprimed fuel system and it ran for another 50 miles then died and did not start again until I replaced pump. all it takes is for it to get a small amount of air in the system and it will do weird things. Glow plugs only help in cold start so it should have ran on ether a good compression 6.2 will do bad things to itself on ether, I agree with earlier post of brake clean I have found the 3m brand works best. The crc stuff is not flammable so don't use it. Good luck

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possible I am passing voltage, but no amps through the relay?
Yes, that is why I said you should read the voltage on the output side of the GP relay while it is activated. If you measure voltage on the input side and output side, they should be the same reading. If they are not, your relay may have bad contacts.

Use a meter, not a test light.

the spotted zebra

Yes, that is why I said you should read the voltage on the output side of the GP relay while it is activated. If you measure voltage on the input side and output side, they should be the same reading. If they are not, your relay may have bad contacts.

Use a meter, not a test light.
Sounding more & more like a possibility. Probably doesn't help that I am using a "computer safe" LED test light. Those things light up with any kind of voltage.

Getting ready to head out now. Going to be a long night.

Thanks for the help & I will let you know what I find.

Have a good weekend - Darren

the spotted zebra

Update: We went down Friday night to get the truck. My headlight switch failed on my wrecker about midnight & 30 miles this side of my destination. Stupid Ford headlight switches. I spent ½ hour in a gas station parking lot & with a little backyard engineering, got my headlights working enough to complete our journey.

Saturday morning: Tried to start the CUCV, no start. Bypass the glow plug relay, no start. Tried brake cleaner & WD40, no start. Batteries started getting weak & I wasn't getting anything so I hooked up to her & towed it home. Long tow, longest I've done in a few years. Got it home without any issues. As soon as I can, I am going to do a compression test & go from there. I will update as soon as I have some more news.

Thanks for everyone that chimed in here.

Have a Happy Turkey Day - Darren

JB

One last suggestion. Mine had the same basic issues but instead o WD-40 or brake cleaner we used a rag soaked with gas at the intake. Hold it up while turning it over may get it going. Not a long term fix but may get it fired up. Good luck.

jdknech

i had this problem once, i mixed some atf and gas(not much) and poured it in the intake.. not alot, but enough that it got to all 8 cyl... it got its compressen back and fired right up..

cuffnstuff

Putting air into the tank does help: I took an old gas cap and mounted an air hose cuppler to it and put about 4 lbs of air in the fuel system and my truck fired right up after being run dry.

cuffnstuff

I used to carry a pressure tank with me with my old M1009, and just threw air into the tank any time she decided not to start! lol! It worked well enought most of the time.

rickf

Can I suggest this thread be deleted or moved elsewhere? When I see HELP I jump right to it only to find a post that is months old. Not much I can do to help there.

Rick

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed the title, thanks Rick.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks