• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My two MEP-002A's

Isaac-1

2 things, I have used cheap "1,500 watt" heaters to load my MEP-701a and have found that they generally range from about 1,200 -to 1,300 watts draw in reality (double checked with a clamp meter). Also it has been a while since I read the MEP-002a tech manual as I do not own one yet, but it seems there is something in there about rewiring the number of loops through the CT on the amp meter or such if it is set for 120V only vs. 120/240V to keep it from reading 1/2 or double the correct amount (It may have been an internal jumper wire that did effectively the same thing). I remember noting that this seemed strange to me as such procedures are common when reconnecting some commercial generators, but seemed out of place on a money is no object, mostly idiot proofed design like the MEP-002a.

Ike

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ike,

The # of loops though the CT is always the same number on the MEP-002a (twice as many as the MEP-003a). In reality, the only changes needing done when you are switching from 120 only to 120/240 are done by the volts/amps selector switch on the front of the panel. The CT doesn't really care what mode it's in because whether you are in 120v, 120/240v or 120/208v 3 phase mode the CT is still measuring all 3 phases one at a time; and each phase to ground, no matter the configuration, is always 120 volts. The only thing the selector switch changes is which phase you are reading your amperage from.

Isaac-1

Speddmon I trust you are correct on this one, I must have read this in the manual for one of the other small MEP models maybe the MEP-017

DesertRunner

It just bothers me that 6000 watts are supposedly being applied and the meter only reads 25%
After much reading of the TM's I have found my error. auaWhen I first got my units I read in the TM that a wire should be run from some point to L0 when 120Vac mode, and I assumed that this wire should be removed when 220 mode ...... Do not assume etc. I reconnected the wire I disconnected and now my percentage meter reads 75% under my 6000Watt load.

Jay

stampy

+1 on the interlock switch. My electrician hooked it up $75 bucks later I was running my generator. Not trying to hijack the thread but anyone know what causes the starter to (LOUD) click and not spin? I can jump it and my MEP 002a will start and run as long as I hold the start switch for a few seconds. Then it will run and produce power just fine. But I have to jump the solenoid every time

DesertRunner

anyone know what causes the starter to (LOUD) click and not spin? I can jump it and my MEP 002a will start and run as long as I hold the start switch for a few seconds. Then it will run and produce power just fine. But I have to jump the solenoid every time
This thread has a lot of good info on just your problem. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxillary-equipment/62494-mep002a-power-starter.html Try doing what they list , if you still haven't got it. post up what you are getting and we will try to get you going.
Just off the top of my head I'd check the continuity from the crank relay to the starter solenoid. Is the clunk coming from the solenoid on the starter or from the relay in the control box?

Jay

Last edited:

stampy

Oh if anyone needs a motor for their generator I have 2, 400 hz gensets both run but I can't use 400hz power so I have the motor and controls to part out if anyone needs it. Just PM me

DesertRunner

Got the frame done.... well almost, just a little more bracing here and there but the hard work is done.

Now comes the fun of getting the generator off the trailer, on to the frame, and into the stables.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks