• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My V8 big block Deuce

Gunfreak25

I have a deuce that's powered with a V8 Oldsmobile rocket engine. Good engine, All stock, LOADS of power. Problem is, the truck is really loud because there's no exhaust hooked up at all. The manifolds are there though and extend a couple feet back. So, it's setup for dual exhaust. However, I was thinking of adding a Y pipe, muffler of my choice, and just connecting it to the original exhaust stack on the right of the truck.

The original motor was a 302 Straight 6 gasser and sounded like this.....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM4qQb58rRQ[/media]

Obviously, a V8 will never sound like a straight 6. I don't want this classic truck sounding like a souped up hot rod. That just wouldn't sound "right"...so i'd like to get it sounding as "right" as possible.

So I need your guy's input on a muffler/exhaust setup. Not looking for performance, just the right sound. Not too quiet (it's a big green machine) but not screaming loud like an old souped up Buick either.

Dual glasspacks maybe? :?

ATC

I just dropped a 466ci BBF into my F150 and threw an exhaust on it the other weekend...so I might offer some use to ya. I ordered a set of Goerlich VR7426 single chamber race mufflers from performance-curve and welded them on with some turn-outs.

Performance-Curve items - Get great deals on Exhaust Systems, Catalytic Converters items on eBay Stores!

My truck sounds awesome if I do say so. Deep, loud (not obnoxious or cop-getting).

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f25/Crazy-ATC/1978Ford004.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f25/Crazy-ATC/1978Ford005.jpg

Gunfreak25

I am confused. :-? Being a MV crowd I thought most here would scoff at the idea of a vintage Army truck sounding like a hot rod? Then again, trying to quiet down a 455 Oldsmobile would be like trying to make an Indy 500 car sound like a weed whacker. It's a **** of a torque monster with a lot of power and I suppose shushing the old girl would kill any potential WOW factor. It's pushing over 400 horses and about 500lbs of torque. Another member here has the same power plant in his and he smoked all 10 tires in a Mcdonalds parking lot...........the original 302 barely burped out 150 horses at full RPM's.... :beer: Luckily a 100% correct truck is not my goal.

The engine compartment of the M211 is shorter than that of the M35A2 so dropping in a Multifuel is not doable without lots of cutting.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just come off the exhausts and run through a big napa muffler that accentuates the lowest frequencies. glass packs emit too much high freq noise and will sound like a muscle car.

hippiedude

I say dual exhaust ..........a pair of glass packs ....... and dual stacks ......who needs a C turbo when you got a BIG BLOCK ................ nuff said ............... Tim ....... P.S. That thing will pull a m35a2 backwards with its c turbo inlow gear ......... Hehehehe ......:shock:......Opps .......... My Bad ..............

hippiedude

On a serious note .......... Let us know what you get for MPG , power on hills and just plain drivability , when you get on the road .................... Good luck ........... P.S. I bet that thing souhds like a harley when you hit a hill ..............Hehehe......... Tim

unclemikey

Question........YUMA, AZ........Green, Rain? Sure not the same as it was last time I was there!

Your Truck is way cool. Who cares if it sounds like a Hot Rod, ........IT IS A HOT ROD, just a way big hot rod. Nice. [thumbzup]

Gunfreak25

I don't want to add anything to the outside of the truck that doesn't belong there. If I go dual exhaust I will run it under the truck out the rear. I want it to still appear original, because once I get it fully repainted and purdied up I hope to take it to Veterans day parades and car shows.

Only 1 picture of the engine right now. I don't have it in hand yet, but I will be going to Tucson this Sunday to go and get it fired up. I'll take more pictures too. I need to get the proper air cleaner on it before I attempt to do anything else. After that, it's mostly cleaning and TLC.

I'm liking the idea of the NAPA muffler. That other member here I was talking about earlier ran dual exhaust all the way to the rear (LONG!) and used a huge Walker severe service muffler. He said it's really quiet but still sounds nice when you romp on it.

Keep the suggestions coming guy's! :D Thanks

Attachments

donttreadonmebmg

I use to like stacks on trucks but not any more everyone is doing it, so I think it's a bad Idea unless it's a diesel then it's OK. gas noway! run duel 3" exhaust halfway back and dump each respected side in front of the first set of rear axles. [thumbzup] The cheap $20.00 mufflers from SUMMIT Racing eq. have lasted me 2 years of daily driving under my F150 through salt and snow plus some off road muddin. not bad for 20 bucks. plus a good set of stacks are more money. and plain pipe just doesn't look good IMHO. :grd:

bryan70546

dont do the stacks , just run a nice muffler pipe combo out the rear and try to make it look orignal , a little rumble wont hurt at all a nice flowmaster are dynomax bullet would work great.

Gunfreak25

I take back everything I said before. I think a MV/hotrod would sound pretty sweet. Listen to this Russian ZIL! I don't think it would be difficult at all to replicate that roar with my M211 as this ZIL is powered by a 420 V8.

This ZIL is only pushing about 150 horses, my 455 is in the 400 horse range. Oh boy, am I going to have some fun here in the AZ desert.......

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo9GWAi71VM[/media]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks