• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My V8 big block Deuce

Gunfreak25

dont do the stacks , just run a nice muffler pipe combo out the rear and try to make it look orignal , a little rumble wont hurt at all a nice flowmaster are dynomax bullet would work great.
I think that's what i'll do then. If I have enough time this Sunday and I get everything else on the truck squared away I will just run straight pipe back and stop at the front rear axle. Flowmaster it is, you thinking single or dual? I'll leave the original stack on for looks and originality. Rear exhaust would be quieter as well since I wouldn't have that exhaust stack next to my head.

I'll try and get some video of the truck later for you guys.

Don't feel sorry for the truck. When it was purchased from the govt in the 80's it was completely gutted of it's power plant, axles and cargo bed. Hence the reason why the 455, TH400 and a set of original axles and M211 bed were installed.

rlwm211

A 455 with each bank dumping into a 4 Inch wye pipe and then up a stack with a muffler in the stack assembly will sound quite solid, not too "monster truck" like and would do a good job of getting the fumes above the cab with the noise as well

You have to remember the M125 10 ton gasser had a frickin huge v-8 of epic proportions. They routed the exhaust out the sides behind the cab, duals, with about 4" pipes. The engine did not turn high RPMs. I see the key to your getting that MV sound as being using the same RPMs that a MV uses. Nothing would betray the presence more than a high turning Gas engine in one of these trucks.

Just my opinion, and heck, I am just one soul on this ship of SS members.

RL

rnd-motorsports

put a y pipe stay at least 3'' pipe after y 40 flowmaster and a stack you will love it nice mellow sound with just a faint rumble and nice mellow rumble when you gas it or headers with 3'' with 40 flowmasters and 5'' stacks makes for a throty idle and nice mellow rumble under power

Attachments

scrapman

I have used the large round truck mufflers with 2 1/2" inlet & 2 1/2" outlet behind 460 Fords. They offered a mellow tone when the throttle was applied in moderation yet there was good flow and a deep rumble when you gassed on it. A helpful muffler shop would be the best option here. My own personal opinion would be to avoid the pricier name brand mufflers i.e. "Flowmaster" and the likes, but instead look for the industrial stye mufflers. Look under the local delivery city box trucks.

scrapman

Just as an added side note, I have been contemplating doing a 454/400 swap into one of the Deuces I own. This would be for the more power and lighter weight. The truck I will do this to has a new out of the can motor in it which will better serve me in my daily driver. Anybody else have a similar engine swap?

Stan Leschert

I want to see (and hear) a video of it as is.

Also, pics please on how you fixed the shifter tower!

For future considerations, I would run a dual (well muffled) exhast under the bed,
and then offer to race other deuce owners for pink slips!

Gunfreak25

I'll definitely be getting some video of it, before and after I do anything with it. I just learned tonight from one of it's previous owners that the
motor is dated 1968 which means is a high compression rocket engine! I'm happy as a clam, as 1968 was the first year of production for this engine. It still retains the original metallic blue paint (under a layer of dirt). These engines are getting very hard to find and it alone is worth about what I paid for the entire truck.

Stan, did you get any video of your 135 at the Canada day parade that just recently passed? Someone on Youtube really needs to shoot a good
video of the starting and driving of the Korean era series deuce's. Including a good walk around and tour of the cab.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would go 1.5"or 2" into a single 3", and bring it out just behind the cab on the right side, down low near the steps. Any large truck muffler will do, and it should sound great with a low rumble until you get above 3500 rpm, and then it will howl.
On another note- With such a high compression engine(10.5 or 10.75 to 1), you will have to run 93 octane to keep the motor from knocking(pinging). If you had changed to dish pistons(8.6 to 1) it would run on 87 octane, with little loss of torque and horsepower.

Last edited:

mudguppy

1st question: what was done to the Olds to give you the 400hp / 500tq numbers?

secondly, i agree with the above suggestion by EMD: go with smaller tube exhaust. the suggestions regarding the use of dual 3.5"+ tube sze is completely ignorant; a 455 cid gasser cannot make use of that much exhaust pipe.

put on some long tube headers with around a 1 5/8" primary tube into a 3" collector. then run dual 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" into a dual inlet muffler or single 3" muffler inlet and a single 3" out to the tail pipe. i would use a Flowmaster for many reasons; people who recommend against them have not properly chosen the right muffler for the application.

for this, you need to use one of their big block mufflers for a truck / RV application. it'll be tuned to give the right amount of pulse scavaging and sound attenuation. call them and discuss.

oh - and glasspacks sound disgusting. don't.

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
mudguppy has a solid recommendation. I will add that in my experience, a divided dual exhaust sounds too raspy. A dual system with a cross over or a 2 into 1 muffler (as recommended by mudguppy) will mellow the BB noise sufficiently and give you the rumble when you demand it.

Rick

scrapman

1st question: what was done to the Olds to give you the 400hp / 500tq numbers?

secondly, i agree with the above suggestion by EMD: go with smaller tube exhaust. the suggestions regarding the use of dual 3.5"+ tube sze is completely ignorant; a 455 cid gasser cannot make use of that much exhaust pipe.

put on some long tube headers with around a 1 5/8" primary tube into a 3" collector. then run dual 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" into a dual inlet muffler or single 3" muffler inlet and a single 3" out to the tail pipe. i would use a Flowmaster for many reasons; people who recommend against them have not properly chosen the right muffler for the application.

for this, you need to use one of their big block mufflers for a truck / RV application. it'll be tuned to give the right amount of pulse scavaging and sound attenuation. call them and discuss.

oh - and glasspacks sound disgusting. don't.
I guess you are so freakin' smart and such a genius that other people's opinions and suggestions are "completely ignorant" or "have not properly chosen". Then you suggest the use of headers when the point was to keep costs down and to utilize the exhaust manifolds to achieve a "truck tone" not a clapped-out hot rod wannabe.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Thanks for the tips, I will be referring back to this page when i get the truck home and I go exhaust shopping. As for the HP/Torque rating, I was told that by the previous owner. After some reading of my own I think it's probably closer to 350. Still, loads more power compared to the 302! :D

I don't foresee running premium all the time as being to much of a problem, pocket book wise. If I gets expensive like it did a few years ago I can always go with mid grade or even regular 87. I'll have to see how it sounds though, but I don't expect to be driving it much so it shouldn't be an issue. Not like I'm doing heavy hauling or cross country driving here.

Nice truck Stan!

mudguppy

...and to utilize the exhaust manifolds to achieve a "truck tone" not a clapped-out hot rod wannabe.
no, i missed that point.

and 'manifolds vs headers' do not effect 'tone.' i recommended based on their affect on powerband.

don't get so personal - you'll be alright.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks