• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My winch bumper

jimmy-90

That thing looks fierce. I noticed you have alot of running lights on there. How strong are they? Are they 55w or did you use full on 100w or so off road type lights?

JUNKYARDJOHN

That thing looks fierce. I noticed you have alot of running lights on there. How strong are they? Are they 55w or did you use full on 100w or so off road type lights?
I'm not really sure of the wattage. They are 28 volt aurora lights off of a tank or armoured personel carrier. (The bulbs could easily be replaced with 12 volt bulbs... they're 4" G.E. BULBS) The winch is an 8500 lb superwinch. Somebody had them on sale a few weeks back for around $325. I snapped one up. The steel was about $80. I had to cut two horizontal bars out of the brushgard. PIECE-O-CAKE. Anyone with a chopsaw, welder, torches & a drill press can make one up. The bumper weighs about 100 lbs. It's a whole lot stouter than anything it's bolted to. John

Attachments

Last edited:

K9Vic

Winch bumper looks good, nice work!!

I also bought two sets of those lights for the same $80 and have not found a place for them yet, but the price was too good to pass up.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice fab job, I would reinforce with a 4"x3/8 tube steel from frame to frame, this insures the frame will stay square.

JUNKYARDJOHN

I'm making another winch bumper for my M1031 & it will incorperate two of these lights. They sure seem to be heavy-duty units. I just picked up a used winch (12 volt & 12000 lb) for that truck. 8500 lbs is probably the bare minumum for this heavy rascal, but a 9000 lb was almost twice the money, & monitarily out of my reach at the present. John

JUNKYARDJOHN

Nice fab job, I would reinforce with a 4"x3/8 tube steel from frame to frame, this insures the frame will stay square.
Thats probably a good idea, & considering I'm planning fabbing up some type of reiforcment for the steering gearbox area, a crossmember in this area would be a good thing. I really like overkill in safty areas. John

idM1028

Looks good. I've been thinking about putting a winch on mine especially since I've now bent the lower center bar on the brush guard :doh: Apparently that particular one doesn't like Hi-Lift jacks. Might be a while before I can get it done since I don't have the tools (or the place to store them) to pull it off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks