• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My winch install

goldneagle

Why would you ruin the shackle mounts just to mount the winch. You could have used some square tubing that fit over the shackle mounts that was removable by pulling a pin. That way you can remove the winch and use tow bars to pull the truck behind another MV. I use my M1008 to recover running trucks. Then tow the M1008 behind the truck home.

Attachments

TRUEPUMPER

Didn't ruin the shackle mounts if I wanna take the winch mount off I will use a plasma cutter and simply leave them intact. In fact I will be still have the shackles in the original spot. They will be functional with the winch plate on. I thought about that before I installed it. I am ok with what I did. Thank you for your input. I figured some would say that. I will spread the shackles a bit and getting a longer pin to install them.

Last edited:

goldneagle

Didn't ruin the shackle mounts if I wanna take the winch mount off I will use a plasma cutter and simply leave them intact. In fact I will be still have the shackles in the original spot. They will be functional with the winch plate on. I thought about that before I installed it. I am ok with what I did. Thank you for your input. I figured some would say that. I will spread the shackles a bit and getting a longer pin to install them.
FYI we do not use the shackles for towing. The tow bar feet attach to the shackle mounts. You cannot stretch tow bar feet. I gave you a solution to mounting the winch platform without welding to the shackle mounts. It's even removable. But it's your ride so do as you feel is best for you.

Keith_J

Yes, you now cannot use a military tow bar. Far easier to fab an aluminum winch platform that slips over the frame extensions (both front and rear) so you can store the winch out of sight and out of thieves access. But because most would scoff at that brand, no biggie.

I am wanting a 24 volt winch for mine, will do the removable mount for both front and rear. 24 volt requires half the wire gauge for the same power. And using both alternators, you get double the power. Batteries only last for a few minutes at normal winch draw.

Skinny

I am wanting a 24 volt winch for mine, will do the removable mount for both front and rear. 24 volt requires half the wire gauge for the same power. And using both alternators, you get double the power. Batteries only last for a few minutes at normal winch draw.
This is what I did, used a 24v MileMarker and connected it to the truck via the slave cable receptacle. So I can interchange front to back and if I ever buy a trailer, I can weld on a receiver to pull vehicles up and simply plug the winch into the rear NATO port.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-12-000lb-multi-mount-winch-install&highlight=

I'm not sure if I like the winch placed so far out in front of the bumper only welded to those shackle tubes. I would have rather placed it behind the front bumper if it was going to be permanent. Lots of leverage and small points of attachement which is something I dislike with my arrangement. It looks like you do nice work, quality welds and some of that cradle was bent nicely.

llong66

Nice looking work! My only question is do you feel that the area that is actually welded is strong enough to pull the truck out of, say some deep mud? I only ask this as I am totally uneducated when it comes to welding and such and it looks to my inexperienced eye like a small area to support that kind of load.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks