• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mysterious coolant leak...I think...

bebyb

[FONT=&quot]Hello everyone, I am in a bit of a situation, I am supposed to be taking my deuce from eastern middle TN to east TN for a new years party, a 4 hour drive in that truck. Anyway, I discovered this puddle under what appears to be the fuel filter. It smells like plain water, doesn't smell like diesel, and doesn't smell like antifreeze, and there is antifreeze in the radiator for sure. Does anyone know what it could be? Could the fuel filter be full of water? I looked at the freeze plugs and looked over the side of the block and there were no cracks that I could see. Any suggestions?[/FONT]

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When is the last time you drained the fuel filter ?
The TM's recommend daily.
If it's not been maintained the filter canister could have rusted out . Other than taking the picture what have you
checked ?
Window washer reservoir since it smells like water?
You haven't provide a lot of information to go off of.

Last edited:

bebyb

Oh for some reason my original message didn't post. But I have never drained it. I was ignorant of that recommendation unfortunately. Here is what I meant to say before... "Hello everyone, I am in a bit of a situation, I am supposed to be taking my deuce from eastern middle TN to east TN for a new years party, a 4 hour drive in that truck. Anyway, I discovered this puddle under what appears to be the fuel filter. It smells like plain water, doesn't smell like diesel, and doesn't smell like antifreeze, and there is antifreeze in the radiator for sure. Does anyone know what it could be? Could the fuel filter be full of water? I looked at the freeze plugs and looked over the side of the block and there were no cracks that I could see. Any suggestions?"

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf M35 complete diagram of with descriptions of all components.

LO9-2320-209-12-1.pdf
LO9-2320-209-12-1 Lubrication Order for the M35 series.

TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-1 Operation, Installation and Reference data for the M35 series, Operator Level.

TM9-2320-209-10-2.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-2 Scheduled Maintenance Operator level M35 Multifuel.

TM9-2320-209-10-3.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-3 Troubleshooting Operator level M35 Multifuel.

TM9-2320-209-10-4.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-4 Maintenance Operator Level M35 Multifuel.

Attachments

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any leaks when the truck is idling? Did you recently top off the radiator? Can you go for a drive, warm it up well and then go look, with the engine idling? After you shut it down and let it cool off some, is there residual pressure in the coolant system (does it go "pfft" when you open the cap? if not, it likely does leak!)?

If coolant is leaking, it should be, well, coolant, not just water. Water alone can come from somewhere else; even from the frame rails after a rain.

bebyb

I am not exactly sure about any sounds the radiator cap makes, but yes it is just straight water on the ground, or appears to be, and I know there is antifreeze in the radiator.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you have never drained the fuel filter has the temperatures been below freezing?
The fuel filter may have froze and cracked the canister.

Did you ever solve this issue ?
you never updated your thread.
[h=1]Intermittent coolant leak?[/h]

bebyb

Yes it has been below freezing. In that case I might have to reweld the canister (after disassembly from the truck of course). Although the leak didn't get worse when I started the truck...it actually stopped leaking...

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it has been below freezing. In that case I might have to reweld the canister (after disassembly from the truck of course). Although the leak didn't get worse when I started the truck...it actually stopped leaking...
It would probably be a good idea to to read the TM's I posted and do a proper PMCS before the trip.
Hopefully your keeping the the brake fluid checked .
Ever do a brake inspection on it , That would probably be a good idea before the trip also .

rustystud

Have you actually touched it ? It looks like old DOT 5 brake fluid. What model truck do you have ?
Also porkysplace is right. You need to download and read all those manuals.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The ambiant temp there is running all around the freezing level. So what is the cement temperature and did the "puddle" dry up without leaving a mark or is it still there? Put some newspaper there and see what you get.
Run it and see.

Anyhow you might be ready to go but is the truck? It could leak like a sieve all across the state without hurting anything but when is the last time you had it running that long, truck seems a bit unfamiliar to you.
Be prepared and don't get to be in the new years news.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you actually touched it ? It looks like old DOT 5 brake fluid. What model truck do you have ?
Also porkysplace is right. You need to download and read all those manuals.
From his other threads it looks like a M35A2 , that he has had since at least september of 2016.
None of the threads on repairs have a end result posted as to what the problem ended up being,
which would help other members in the future.

previous threads;
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/search.php?searchid=6030906

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since he hasn't worried about maintenance or learning about his truck with the manuals, I'll advise to simply not worry about it.

bebyb

My apologies. I sometimes get mixed up between here and the Facebook group that I am more active in. The leak from before was the manifold heater. Was a simple fix of just plugging the lines.

bebyb

Right. Already was in an accident in 2015 due to driving drowsy and there was a lawsuit and all that despite high insurance limits...and I have NO intention of ever doing that again. Got lucky there that is wasn't worse. As far as the puddle I have not been out to the truck to check yet. I will let you know around 7 my time when I get off work. Thank you for your help!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right. Already was in an accident in 2015 due to driving drowsy and there was a lawsuit and all that despite high insurance limits...and I have NO intention of ever doing that again. Got lucky there that is wasn't worse. As far as the puddle I have not been out to the truck to check yet. I will let you know around 7 my time when I get off work. Thank you for your help!
So how long have you owned this truck ?