• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mysterious fluid behind fording plug.

603hellmutt

So was going through and greasing my u-joints today and I noticed that my fording plug was in, and from everything I've read it should not be and should be stored in the threaded pocket.
When I removed it there was a very odd non viscous liquid behind it it's not dripping out after the plug was removed so not sure what it is.
It has an orange/red hugh and looks nothing like motor or tranny fluid in my opinion. Doesn't seem to be water and do sent have any smells other then a light oil.
Any idea what it may be?
Should I try and clean the bellhousing out with some type of spray?
Appreciate the advice.
1467579887208399730534.jpg20160703_165524.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jbayer

So, you've called it both a "folding plug", In the thread title, and then a "forming plug" in thread text. I'm assuming you mean the "Fording Plug"? It would probaly be a good idea to to use some Brakecleen, and spray it out a little just so it just does'nt keep dripping. Gear oil has a very identifiable smell, so probably just motor oil. If not dripping/running out, I would not be to concerned.
Maybe a Moderator can fix thread title.

Last edited:

jbayer

Spelling helps the next persons search. You could pull the inspection cover, and just have a look around in there to be safe. Can't think of what kind of oil that could be.