• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery item

mead

Hello all,
My son sent me pictures of this canister-like device that is mounted on the front bumper of his 1985 M1028 just in front of the radiator. There are two hoses that connect to the radiator. The words "1500 W" and "Model 1500" are printed on the canister. My uneducated guess is that it's some type of coolant preheater. I've looked through the technical manuals and have not found any mention of it. Anybody know what it is?
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the first picture you can also make out "120 Volts". It's an in-line coolant heater that you plug in over night or several hours before driving to help the truck start when it's cold outside. It definitely looks nonoperational.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its design looks a lot like this "THERMOSTATICALLY CONTROLLED HEATER COOLANT 2540-912-3134 1500WATT 115V" on eBay (search for that phrase):

image.jpg

Last edited:

cpf240

They were not part of the CUCV issue, so that was either added at the unit level or by whoever had it after it left the service, so that is why it wasn't in the TMs.