• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery marking + how to uncover unit markings

claptonisgod

I was recently able to recover my HMMWV's unit markings from under the spray paint, and thought I'd share my method so others may learn more about their trucks and preserve their truck's history. I simply took a bottle of Pro Strength Goof-Off, and with a bunch of paper towels (easier than rags since the paint would ruin them) I simply worked slowly and patiently to free my markings. Be careful not to use too much, and be careful to be gentle when working, but slow and light work should remove the spray paint and leave the markings intact. I first tried using fine sandpaper but found it to be excessive in addition to obviously making the paint lose its characteristic roughness. I then tried a scrub brush with Goof Off, but it was too abrasive and I lost a letter on my rear before I figured out the paper towels. Once I got to the hood with the paper towel method, things went flawlessly and almost too easily. No promises that it will work universally, but it worked excellently in my case.

I've figured out the two main marking categories on my truck, but can't seem to figure out what's inside the black rectangle on the left side of the hood. It's also inside a black rectangle in the middle of the rear panel below the tailgate. It appears to be either BCO11, BCO2, BC011, BCOII, etc. I was hoping someone might recognize it and shed some light on it. I hope my tips for the markings are useful, and that someone can help with this mystery marking. Thanks!

image.jpg

Mike82ndABN

It is most likely the company truck and number, ie. Bravo Company truck 11. (B-CO 11) That's how we did our markings when I was in the military.
Yup, Bravo Company. 1st platoon, 1st squad.

At the same time though it has HHC markings, which would make it Headquarters Company.

Last edited:

claptonisgod

Thanks for the input and makes sense, I'm just getting lost when it appears that HHC 17 and this B CO marking were there at the same time (especially when in theory the B CO marking should be where HHC 17 is). There also appeared to be something that might look like a 101 under the B CO marking from back when the truck was green, but not sure. I almost want to think it's some kind of weird third category of marking, but I have no clue.

Last edited:

claptonisgod

Do the BCO11 numbers correspond in any way with the registration number on the data plate?
Nope, I can't seem to find anything else on the truck except for the identical marking in the middle of the rear that has anything to do with it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Negative on all previous.

This vehicle belonged to HHC (Headquarters and Headquarters Company) of the 1st Battalion, 171st Aviation Regiment which is a Florida Army National Guard unit (Google is your friend). Most likely this was a vehicle within their S-1 (Personnel) section since it is number 17 (doesn't mean they had 17 vehicles...probably S1 and the 7th or just a possibly random digit assigned). This vehicle being a ARNG vehicle is key to the "mystery".

State National Guards have MATES (Mobilization and Training Equipment Site) that store and maintain equipment not required for training during weekend drill. I'd venture a bet that this is the MATES administration number so in the grand scheme of things, amounts to a hill of beans. If it would have been a D#### I would have said it was a SUN number from TCAIMS but doubt anyone would take the time to figure out what TCAIMS is anyway so who cares.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
But if I give away all my trade secrets........

TCAIMS II= Transportation Coordinators-Automated Information Management System II . This system replaced TC-ACCIS and DAMMS-R but anything other than that, I'd have to suggest a google search.