• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

n00b questions... looking to get an M1009

smores

Hey guys... I'm new to CUCV's, this forum, and trucks in general. :oops: I have always liked these vehicles... I thought they were cool when I was in the Army and always wanted one. Now that I see that I CAN have one I'm all about getting one - however I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

I checked the FAQ's, but have some basic general questions that weren't covered.

First of all - I know these things aren't the best daily drivers. I live in the Metro DC area and commute about 15 miles each way too and from work on a major interstate. My WRX does fine cruising along at 75-80 MPH on a regular basis. I realize these vehicles are UTILITY vehicles and am not looking for a daily driver (at least not for most days ;) ). But, how is the general driveability of these things? I guess this can handle light driving around for fun, up to friends' houses, to/from the gun range, maybe some *LIGHT* offroading. Of course, I know they don't have A/C...

Second - I know (at least I THINK) these things are limited to a speed of 55 MPH, and get an average of about 20 MPG. Is the 55 MPH computer/electronically limited and/or is the gearing/transmission just not set up for higher speeds? If I want to hop on the highway (speed limit of 55 or 65) I would rather have the capability to get up to at least 65 or 70 MPH. :driver: However, if it can only get up to 55 I can deal with it. I just want to know what's possible!

Third - I know these are N/A diesel engines. What are the advantages of adding a turbo? I've never had a diesel car/truck and would like to learn how to work on them since I've already got smaller passenger cars down pretty well. I would feel comfortable doing a turbo install.

Fourth - BioDiesel, has anyone done a conversion? I thought it would be cool to do... and there are quite a number of BioDiesel stations near me. I'd rather have my money going to US companies producing the stuff than the Saudis....

Fifth - actually getting my hands on one of these... I see many out there on eBay or on random websites in private sales - also the govliquidation site. It seems all the M1009s near me (Ft. Meade and Aberdeen) are in pretty bad shape. Are they worth buying cheap and fixing up? Or should I wait longer to find a better one? I don't mind buying them from someone within a couple hundred miles and driving home either. From what I can tell the going rate is about $2000-3000 depending on condition.

Thanks guys... and I hope my questions weren't too long winded... I'm a total n00b so I'm ready for a roasting. Just figured I'd introduce myself and get the ball rolling!!! :beer:

papercu

m1009

Welcome! The M1009 is a good choice for a first MV. It's a very basic chevy truck with little or no soundproofing and none of other little extras we love on our daily drivers.
It will do 70 with no problem but with no soundproofing and the gearing, it going to sound loud, so slower speeds are just more comfortably as least to me.
turbo? If going that route I would find a 6.5 w/turbo and use it.
BioDiesel no advise on that so I'll leave that to other.
Where to buy? That depends on how much time and money you have. I think I would buy from a member or a local truck that I could check out. Good luck, Wayne

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There are some good priced ones here in the classifieds. they can go 70 and get good milage. you can get a banks turbo kit or find the equipment off a 6.5 turbo. Read alot here and colorado k5.com

oilcan

I drive my 1009 blazer about 170 miles a day and generally run 70 mph on the interstate. Every now and then I'll crank her up to 75 for a while.

Just this morning I had to run 85 for a bit to rid myself of one of those dudes that just can't seem to hold a consistent speed. 70 one minuite, 60 the next, 80 when I tried to pass... No traffic to speak of.

smores

Sweet... I'll check the classifieds. I am starting to pool money together for this thing so I hope to get one before winter.

Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming ;)

Also, is there anyone local to me?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SMORES: I live in Olney...about 20 minutes from you. If I can help you in any way, let me know. I've owned five M1009s over the years so I can probably tell you what to look for.

oilcan

Look up at the top of the page under "resources" and dig out the member locator map. I'm sure you'll find someone to hang out with!

AJMBLAZER

1 and 2 - They aren't super great daily drivers as they lack AC, cruise, tilt, cupholders, over drive, and all the conveniences of modern vehicles...but pretty much all of that can be taken care of. They're nothing more than a militarized 73-91 Chevy K5 Blazer/GMC K5 Jimmy so there's tons of creature comforts and other options for them.
The 55mph thing is only the pickups. They're geared so low the engine is almost bouncing off the rev limiter at that speed. The M1009 Blazers are MUCH higher geared and have no issues in that respect.
For the record though expect to see in the upper teens. No OD so at higher speeds you're going to be turning higher rpm's than the diesel likes for best economy.

3 - turbos jam air into the air intake. Basically they make the engine suck in more than 100% of it's NA air capacity. Good way to make power cheaply. Also good for mpg increases as you should be able to not need as much throttle to do the same work as before.

4 - Do a search as there's more than a few members who have been making and running the stuff in these trucks. There's also an alternative fuels forum here on Steel Soldiers.

5 - Personally I'd try to find one in better shape and drive it home. That's what I did (and sometimes wish I had gone further west and south...) and am glad as I hate body work and these trucks were known for their rusting abilities...as you've found.
Check Craigslist ( www.Craigshelper.com is an awesome help for that), Ebay, www.ColoradoK5.com 's classifieds forum, and others. They are quite common out west and never had the rust issues we have here in the rust/snow belt. That means their prices aren't as high in good condition as they are back here. Even if you end up paying more in gas and travel costs to drive one back from out west it'd still get you a relatively pristine truck compared to a lot of what shows up here in the rust belt.

You have a PM coming.

smores

RE: Re: n00b questions... looking to get an M1009

BKubu... nice HEMTT!!! Where do you drive that around!? lol... Hopefully on the beltway once and a while for kicks ;)

Thanks guys you've all been helpful. Getting me psyched to get one of these... might have to put in some OT at work :D

Somemedic

RE: Re: n00b questions... looking to get an M1009

As I understand 70 is ok for these trucks but prolonged speeds at higher RPMs will put you on the market for a main seal. If you cant stay slower than 70 you can put 33's on and that will lower your RPMs. If your in town driving though (around 45) mine gets better mileage than the old ladys cherokee.

Make it a daily driver and be prepared to get some goo under your fingernails. Im constantly adjusting the damn belts or doing brakes or something. But it is reliable. Wasnt in the beginning but I got it there. With the gurus on this site you will find all the help you'll need though

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: Re: n00b questions... looking to get an M1009

Somemedic said:
As I understand 70 is ok for these trucks but prolonged speeds at higher RPMs will put you on the market for a main seal. If you cant stay slower than 70 you can put 33's on and that will lower your RPMs. If your in town driving though (around 45) mine gets better mileage than the old ladys cherokee.

Make it a daily driver and be prepared to get some goo under your fingernails. Im constantly adjusting the dang belts or doing brakes or something. But it is reliable. Wasnt in the beginning but I got it there. With the gurus on this site you will find all the help you'll need though
Main seal in these is a piece of cake, its a two piece :D
just drop the pan and one main. thats it.

As for the belts, get a set of Gatorbacks (made by goodyear)
You wont have to mess with them for a long time ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks