• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Naive question...What do you do with your Deuce?

Flyingvan911

Where can I get a ladder like that? And how do you carry it? Just throw it up in the back or does it mount inside?
Not to hijack, but on a side note: It is out of a M109 shop van. I know someone who knows someone at a Fort. They make a part or two available to us now and then. Contact member Stagg or Aswayze. They have several ladders. The handrail was homemade by the unit then bolted on. I'm not home for the next few days but when I get back I will post some pics.

It has a hook on each side that slide over the tailgate when it's down. I just store it in the bed of the truck.

bearboley

I throw a 300 gal fuel tank in mine along with some grease guns some hyd oil. various tools and still get 2 pallets of seed in the back. With the on board air it makes one heck of a service truck for the farm. Its also the right height to walk right off the tailgate onto my grain drill platform to fill the seed box.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ive found the key to having trucks and toys is to have so many the wives dont know when you bring one home!!!!!!!!
That used to work here, now she keeps a sharp eye on my stuff. I'm storing a few items for friends and I'll bet she suspects something is mine despite the fact I deny it. She was silent for a week after she returned from Iraq. After the week she started inquiring about the 4 additional trailers, the deuce tipper and the Dodge SECM.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I am a newbie getting hooked on the MV scene...Now looking more and more seriously at a deuce...Then my wife asked a good question.."What will you do with it?" Good question..Id love to drive it around town..maybe help out with local parades....Is that about the extent you guys use them for?Anybody use them for any unique civilian use? Just curious, sorry if this is a stupid question...

One of the best things you can do as a newb is to set aside an hour or so each evening for the next few weeks and simply begin reading threads in the deuce forum starting at page 1.

I did this when I joined-it took me several weeks to get up to speed.

But in doing so, you'll learn a lot-the common issues and problems and their fixes, insurance and titling issues, opinions about buying direct surplus vs. private owner, what people use them for, etc.

Most every deuce topic has been covered by at least 2-4 identical threads.

Like these:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/6967-what-do-you-use-your-deuce.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/25871-what-do-you-guys-use-your-trucks.html

steelandcanvas

It's my stress reliever, driving it and working on it. The real world goes away when I'm with the 'Ol Girl. Picking up materials at Home Dumpo. Join a Club and hang out with other guys that have the same disease. Carshows, Veteran oriented static displays, parades, etc. As said before, you're only limited by your imagination.

the buddah

well i must say this besides all the usable things i told the local fire dept they may call me for search and rescue dealies they may need in the woods near me i live in the ocala nat forest but it did haul my harley for over 3000 miles but it does make the great escape for camping why buy an RV lol but the bottom line is you can do what ever you can dream up. :drool::twisted::beer:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's see what do I use mine for? 1. Make the lazy ass disability ripping off neighbor green with envy. 2. Remove tree that was threatening my duck/chicken coop. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/86003-damocles-sword-removed-my-ducks-chickens-heads.html 3. Give my youngest daughter something to ride around in the yard when she gets tired of ATV's.
4. Cruise around town 5. Help friends move in one shot from their apartments and/or small house 6. Whatever the **** else I can do within the law. And oh yeah get total strangers and old soldiers commenting, asking questions and telling their stories about their service. Doesn't get any better than that.

Last edited:

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use mine to aggravate the neighbors and all of the people in the parking lot at the local shopping mall.

waayfast

Agreed with most all statements presented above--but I will add this:

In today's economic climate I get to do the the parade/carshow/motor head social functions without the HUGE costs of the "normal" collector car/ showcars.
Always cracks me up at the parade/car shows when the show car dudes begin to realize he has more money in one custom valve cover than what I paid for my whole truck and it draws a bigger crowd.

I do autobody work and enjoy "talking shop" with the car builders. They are amazed when they learn I have about $175.00 in my paint materials for the M-35 compared to the normal upwards of $4-5000.00 for basecoat/clearcoat super shiny Acrylic Urethane. OH! and no I didn't spend 3 weeks cutting and buffing after spending 6 months in prep and painting-----I was out cruising!!:)

My point here is that as far as a "motor hobby" tell her this is actually pretty inexpensive for the amount of pure fun and you can still haul her landscaping supplies!

Jim

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get miles of smiles from both me and the folks that pass me. I have taken mine from NJ to SC to IN to GA. Getting ready to show it at a Memorial day event, and then another 1200 plus drive to IN and back. Then touch a truck, drive it to work, drive it to the Ga rally, maybe get it in a few Veteran day parades.:mrgreen:

m816

I used to go to Home Depot just to tie up their loading area but that got boring. Then I went back to real lumber yards but I was loosing too much time because of the crowds around it and then again passing out the gate. I use any one of my deuce or five tons for Guntruck Gatherings, Parades Static displays,Hauling Scouts Touch a truck displays. Sometimes I park one in the front yard, get the cooler full of ice and beer and grab a chair and just watch the tourists drive by. It don't require a lot of energy to have fun with a deuce and even more fun with a five ton.:beer: