• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NAP Air Conditioning for M1009

stationjj

Hello,

I am looking to install A/C on my M1009. I understand this has been covered before. I have read many of these threads. So this is mainly geared toward current M1009 owners with A/C installed.

I am looking at the NAP in dash A/C unit for the CUCVs. They did have issues with a supplier, but NAP is selling the CUCV A/C units again.

I understand several SS members have used the NAP unit. I am trying to get a local shop to do the install for me?

I have a few questions concerning the NAP CUCV unit

How is the performance? Is the back seat getting air?

How was the install? Any major problem you ran into during installation?

I do understand that the glove box won't fit after install. It will need to be modified. I will need to move Voltage gauge. I will not add vent where the black out lights are located. I will loose the radio bar on dash. I may add extra vent under the dash? Anything else?

Any other suggestions or tips that may help myself or the installers?

Thank You,

stationjj

YellowHammer

I just cut out some of the back of my glovebox. Can't put much in there, but it still functions for paperwork.

As far as performance. It blows nice and cold. The back seat passengers can feel some cool air if the middle vent is directed right at them. Will it get your truck ice cold? No. Not on a 100 degree day. But it will keep it cool enough that you won't sweat when the vents blow on you.

Also. I tinted my windows and added insulation and it helped greatly. I know many might not want to tint the windows if they are wanting an original look, but I personally work towards functionality over looks since mine is a daily driver.

All in all, the a/c works pretty decent. One problem I do have is that the evaporator will ice up on you and blow water out of the middle vent. When it ices up enough to start affecting the cooling, just turn off the compressor and let it defrost. Also, the switches they provide for temp and fan are junk. You may want to invest about $20 on decent switches.

Skinny

A stock AC setup shouldn't ice the evaporator. I think it has a temp sensor which cycles the compressor off if the evaporator drops below freezing.

Most of the time ice is due to undercharge or indirectly overcharged (not a direct cause but side effect). The other thing could be low airflow across the condenser. It has been awhile since I have done an HVAC repair so do not quote me but ice should never happen.