• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Naritron Smart Start Box (new style)

Rcco

Hello to everyone,
I'm walking my way through a "no start" issue engine (cranks and i did a get a puff of white smoke). I have looked in the -10/watched old army maintenance videos and have read a lot of threads. My question is, is there way to test the smart box?

I have.
Fully charged batteries
Tested glow plugs. Pass
Checked wiring harness pass
installed grounding kit
I tested glowplug temp sensor and couldn't get any readings so I bought a new one.....no readings (ohms) either, I didnt install. either both bad or I don't know what Im doing

I removed the smart box to take a look....I don't see any burnt spots and it doesn't smell burnt (like a electrical short would)

I plan on putting the new Glow plug sensor (controller) in and hook everything back and see............

Any other ideas would be great, Thank you

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Got voltage to the glow plugs for the pre-heat start cycle? Outside temperature?

No glow, good chance no go, CAMO

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you pulled the electrics or the Nartron box while the batteries were connected, there is a good chance you fried it/them.

Rcco

I did change our fuel filter / water separator. I did not check the heat up on the glow plugs wires. I will install the box and check that next. That should be a good indicator of the box is still good. How did I not think of that!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Should see battery voltage during the cycle / cycling time on a cold start. At least a few of seconds. Wait light comes on and off...BUT may NOT be a true indicator that the juice is flowing, See my "CAMO can you can too" post shows how to make a simple $2.99 tester to eliminate the guessing, especially on the trail or shop.

Pull one lead to plug and measure during cycling times OR simpler...watch the dash voltmeter (a working one) to see a significant DIP in voltage when cycling. NO dip, NO Load, NO GO. (but could start ??? if warm enough with a smoke puff or two... cough cough)

Being familiar with this observation in your particular truck is an important starting procedure, IMO. Also verifies charging system. Checks when "smart box" is done burning out your plugs. (not of fan of this BOX system and don't have 600 bucks to throw at over-engineered design to start the dumb truck)

Be smarter than the box, CAMO

Last edited:

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
fuel? you said you changed fuel filter....so did you purge air from lines after? maybe im a little late to this conversation, but its worth a check..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks