• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nasty sound when rolling in reverse

Flyingvan911

My deuce also makes a slight ticking noise when you let it roll backwards. You can only hear it with the engine off. Everything seems fine. I think it is just the teeth on the gears engaging with a little noise since the wheels are causing the gears to turn. The system is being turned in the reverse from what it is made for.

If it's loud:

1 Put the tranmission in neutral and see if the sound is there.

2 Put the transfer case in neutral and see if the sound is there.

That will help narrow it down.

DIESELGREEN

My deuce also makes a slight ticking noise when you let it roll backwards. You can only hear it with the engine off. Everything seems fine. I think it is just the teeth on the gears engaging with a little noise since the wheels are causing the gears to turn. The system is being turned in the reverse from what it is made for.

If it's loud:

1 Put the tranmission in neutral and see if the sound is there.

2 Put the transfer case in neutral and see if the sound is there.

That will help narrow it down.
Pleas read my earlier posts, all that was covered. Makes the same sound, neutral, in gear, hi or lo, clutch engaged or disengaged.

DIESELGREEN

The 3rd spring is at the bottom of the shoes and holds the 2 shoes apart.
Yeah, that one is in place, and the one way at the top above the drum that takes up slack in the cable when it's released. That's the only 2 I could fin... I can't see where a third one would be.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Number 11 and 20 are two of the springs. The third is on the arm, and goes to the frame(cable adjustment area).

If your parking brake is missing any of these, they have a habit of doing what you described,the geometry of the brake mechanism allows it to lock up in reverse(with a missing spring or miss adjusted).

The adjustment procedure is very easy to follow in the -20TM. It is critical to have clearance on both shoes when the parking brake is released.

The fact that you mentioned it has actually stopped you from backing up, has me thinking this is your issue. It certainly would be a better problem to correct, than an internal trans or t case issue and is easily eliminated with a visual and 30 minutes to do the adjustment(as per the TM).

Attachments

DIESELGREEN

Number 11 and 20 are two of the springs. The third is on the arm, and goes to the frame(cable adjustment area).

If your parking brake is missing any of these, they have a habit of doing what you described,the geometry of the brake mechanism allows it to lock up in reverse(with a missing spring or miss adjusted).

The adjustment procedure is very easy to follow in the -20TM. It is critical to have clearance on both shoes when the parking brake is released.

The fact that you mentioned it has actually stopped you from backing up, has me thinking this is your issue. It certainly would be a better problem to correct, than an internal trans or t case issue and is easily eliminated with a visual and 30 minutes to do the adjustment(as per the TM).
I "manually made" extra clearance between the shoes and the drum, and the sound is more like metal grind/clunk. Thanks for the TM diagram, I have yet to download the TM's for the deuce.

DIESELGREEN

Ok, downlosded TM from Jatonka's site, and compared to the illustration you posted. Sure enough, the top spring, #11 in your illustration, is missing. I was almost positive I had a driveline issue judging the sound it is making. At this point, still remains to be seen. I'll search out a kit for the parking brake and linings and take care of that first. Linings are greeeezy anyhow. I know, I know, let me have it now. DOWNLOAD THE TM'S!!!! your help is still greatly appreciated. Cheers--

oldshep

my truck does not have a parking brake at all( i removed shoes, cable,etc. ) my truck still does what dieselgreen's does. :neutral:

ODdave

Jack up 1 rear tire off the ground to unload your drivetrain. Give the rear pinions a good shake and check IN/OUT movment. Just offering up ideas.

Loco_Hosa

Thought.

You mentioned it did it clutch in, clutch out, in gear, or in neutral, and even with the T-case in neutral.

I would be tempted to start rolling backwords with the Tcase in nutral, and the trans in a foward gear, clutch out. If it is still making noise, you know is the output side of the T-case.

Next, I would get all six tires off the ground and put the axles on jack-stands or blocks. I would then put it in reverse and let it idle. If its making the noise, then you can pin point it!

BIG FAT SAFETY NOTE! The vibration of idling will make it much less stable on jack stands. Think carefully before crawling under a running truck, and consider instead taking a long metal rod and pressing it against the parking brake, then the t-case, then the trans. You place the other end against your ear, you AUGHT to be able to pinpoint which component is the culprit.

greg2560

good idea!!![thumbzup]l use the rod with the truck off the ground best aws i have seen!!!

Thought.

You mentioned it did it clutch in, clutch out, in gear, or in neutral, and even with the T-case in neutral.

I would be tempted to start rolling backwords with the Tcase in nutral, and the trans in a foward gear, clutch out. If it is still making noise, you know is the output side of the T-case.

Next, I would get all six tires off the ground and put the axles on jack-stands or blocks. I would then put it in reverse and let it idle. If its making the noise, then you can pin point it!

BIG FAT SAFETY NOTE! The vibration of idling will make it much less stable on jack stands. Think carefully before crawling under a running truck, and consider instead taking a long metal rod and pressing it against the parking brake, then the t-case, then the trans. You place the other end against your ear, you AUGHT to be able to pinpoint which component is the culprit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks