• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NATO 12 pin plug: Amber Turn - Red Stop.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using an old trailer plug for some tow lights.
I need to have red stop lights and amber turn lights for my project. I didn't go with RV /Trailer 7 core wire as I only need 5 wire; Stop, Right, Left, Tail and Ground. This would be three phase Star [also called Wye] (3 ph Delta is only 4 wires). I ordered 5-16 on line, by the foot. Cheaper and better quality than RV 7 wire.

Strip old plug, unsolder connections on back of terminal block. Clean, check, blah blah...
NATO 12 pin 1.jpg
L - R: ID tag, part #, clamp nut, O ring, body nut with cap retaining ring, rubber body, bung lock ring, taper thing, bung and 12 pin end. I am sure there are propper names somewhere out there...

NATO 12 pin 5.jpg
I made a sleeve tool - slashcut copper pipe, to stretch and slide a piece of sheathing down the 5-16 cable to make up the difference in size to the 12 wire original - so that the O ring would hold the cable tight.
NATO 12 pin 4.jpg
Decide what terminals will be used - either LH or RH Stop will work for combined stop lights when using seperate amber turn signals. Even though US vehicles have Red stop / turn lights, all NATO vehicles have towing sockets wired for Amber turn signals and separate Red Stop lights (plus all the other stuff - Aux, Convoy etc.,) for common trailer towing - just as Pintle hooks and Lunette rings are standard. I guess there was a time when this was standardised from simpler 4 pin plugs.
NATO 12 pin 6.jpg
Slide wires through appropriate hole in bung.
NATO 12 pin 9.jpg
Check order of parts before soldering! - You'd think I wouldn't have to make a point of saying this....
NATO 12 pin 7.jpg
I soldered terminals from the bottom up - it's pretty fiddly when using a decent sized iron to get enough heat for thorough penetration.
NATO 12 pin 10.jpg
Use a make up piece so that O ring firmly grips new, smaller cable.
NATO 12 pin 11.jpg
Finished plug, smaller cable yet nicely centered and quite secure.

I don' know how this UK NATO plug compares to the US manufactured ones - the operation is the same but components and serviceability seem different going by other trailer plug wiring threads...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks