• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Navy 5 ton, shovel mount?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
In browsing photos of 5 tons I saw this Navy m51 with a shovel/axe mount on the side of the bed. Is this a military part? Would be a great addition if so. The truck actually looks good painted that color.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In browsing photos of 5 tons I saw this Navy m51 with a shovel/axe mount on the side of the bed. Is this a military part? Would be a great addition if so. The truck actually looks good painted that color.
Bracket what bracket?😵

Actually all Navy construction vehicles belong to the Seabees and would never be painted haze gray.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Bracket what bracket?😵

Actually all Navy construction vehicles belong to the Seabees and would never be painted haze gray.
I was actually thinking about what all colors a 5 ton could have been painted. Air Force would have white ones right? What color would the Seabees have used?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was actually thinking about what all colors a 5 ton could have been painted. Air Force would have white ones right? What color would the Seabees have used?
This color. It might be FS14064. Air Force was strata blue FS25045

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
what shovel/axe?
That US Marine or US Army "heavy equipment operator" tool on the side of the dump bed of the truck.

Surely you remember these Frank:
Any Truck Drivers in the group? - Hand Trucks moving boxes
Any Landscapers in the group? - Lawn Mowers that need to be pushed
Heavy Equipment Operators? - Shovels to move this pile of dirt from here to there
Any Police Officers? - Police the grounds. If it didn't grow there, pick it up

And there were a bunch more too...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would do an internet search of pioneer tools and rack. Cabell Garbee did a nice write up of these items on his site. I've not actually laid my eyes on that site for a decade but it's really good.

fasttruck

M49Cs had the pioneer rack mounted on the side of the body. My M817 had the pioneer rack mounted on an angle on top of the tool box on the left side behind the cab opposite the spare tire. M 818s have been seen with the pioneer rack either mounted horizontally on top of the tool box behind the cab or vertically inboard of the spare tire. The only time I ever saw a vehicle with the pioneer tools actually mounted on the rack was at a memorial day event in NGTC Sea Girt, NJ. Someplace on this planet there is a vast hole filled with OVM, cargo covers, bows and troop seats that have been separated from the vehicles they were issued with.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M49Cs had the pioneer rack mounted on the side of the body. My M817 had the pioneer rack mounted on an angle on top of the tool box on the left side behind the cab opposite the spare tire. M 818s have been seen with the pioneer rack either mounted horizontally on top of the tool box behind the cab or vertically inboard of the spare tire. The only time I ever saw a vehicle with the pioneer tools actually mounted on the rack was at a memorial day event in NGTC Sea Girt, NJ. Someplace on this planet there is a vast hole filled with OVM, cargo covers, bows and troop seats that have been separated from the vehicles they were issued with.
In the case of shovels, the vast hole is my warehouse, I think I have 2000.

Ajax MD

Same green that Marines used of the same era. I served in a Navy "littoral warfare" unit. We weren't Seabees but we had several of them in the unit. Several of our trucks were recycled from Seabee units.

When I first arrived, all of our stuff was old and busted. Vietnam up to 80's equipment. Then, 9/11 happened and we got all new everything. This means I got experience with the earliest HMMWV's CUCV's, M35A1's and 2's and an M813. We used canvas GP tents with pot belly stoves. Then we moved up to M35A3's, M939 series trucks, Base-X tents with HVAC and heavy capacity HMMWVs with comm shelters. It was all very "bouji" as my daughter would say.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I just want to tell everyone how dumb I feel right now... Raised the dump bed, hey it works! What is that next to the spare tire carrier? Is that a ... pioneer rack mounted at a 45 degree angle???? o_O:unsure::) Guess I need some tools to put in it now.

Ajax MD

I went out to my M813 yesterday, digging into the tool box for a wrench and it occurred to me to pass on some advice to you-

Build your own BII (beyond the pioneer tools). If that thing gets a flat or breaks down on the side of the road, you'll need tools to get moving again. Sure, I have a road side assistance and towing plan through Hagerty but it could take a long time to dispatch a commercial wrecker to tow me home.

In your tool box, you should have the following:

• Long air hose fitted to a gladhand for operating air tools and airing up tires (https://www.peshaqu.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=936501)
  • Harbor Freight 20 ton air over hydraulic bottle jack (can be operated manually or by the air tool hose)
  • Long, sturdy pry bar
  • Lug wrench tool (take your pic, mil surplus or this: https://smile.amazon.com/ABN-Heavy-...+multiplying+lug+wrench&qid=1614353310&sr=8-6)
  • Tool bag with large wrenches
  • Tool box with various screw drivers, ratchets, sockets, allen wrenches etc. of various sizes, but larger than normal
  • Lots of wood cribbage to build jack pads on uneven ground
  • Diesel fuel additive of your choice (Stanadyne, Power Service, etc) because today's low sulfur diesel needs lubricity or you'll eat your fuel pumps
  • Spare coolant and engine oil
  • Spare 24v bulbs for all turn signals and brake lights
This is the bare minimum. I'm sure others will chime in with even more helpful stuff that you should be carrying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks