• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Navy deuce

J8HN

I was wondering if the Navy painted their Deuces gray?:roll: I' ve been looking for pics, but can't find any. Has anyone painted theirs gray?

quickfarms

The modern doctrine is for every service to paint there vehicles green, or tan in a desert environment. In the past the Air Force painted there vehicles blue and ground support equipment yellow. In the past the navy did paint there vehicles grey, I remember all of the navy truck were grey or yellow when I was growing up.

At some point in time the navy switched to white for non combat or on base vehicles. I am guessing that this happened in the 80's based on my personal memory

Last edited:

FatBuddhaBoo

I've seen a couple dueces painted grey, and had contemplated doing this to mine as well. However, I'm opting not to at the moment and just going with od green. But hey, its your deuce to do with what you like.

I do seem to recalling though only seeing green or camo deuces when I was active duty

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife painted her M109 gray, to honor my Navy service. I really didn't like it at first, but it has grown on me. It was a quick roller job a few years ago, we are discussing maybe blasting and painting it right.IMG-20120617-00073.jpgDSC04267.jpg

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The modern doctrine is for every service to paint there vehicles green, or tan in a desert environment. In the past the Air Force painted there vehicles blue and ground support equipment yellow. In the past the navy did paint there vehicles grey, I remember all of the navy truck were grey or yellow when I was growing up.

At some point in time the navy switched to white for non combat or on base vehicles. I am guessing that this happened in the 80's based on my personal memory
In 1992 the Navy switched their Ground Support Equipment from yellow to white. The reason was to tell which equipment was painted with lead based paint and which was not. When equipment came in for rework it was stripped down to bare metal and repainted white with a lead free paint. Gear that hasn't been through rework yet is still yellow, though there isn't much left.

Some old salts still care Support Equipment "Yellow Gear" to this day. I was only stationed in CA and HI but I never saw a grey deuce.

Flyingvan911

When I picked up my deuce at Fort Riley there was a grey Navy deuce. It had the SeaBee logo stenciled on the door. I thought I had a pic somewhere. I'll have to look.