• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Navy Deuces

ctmustang

I'm assuming the Navy used deuces and was wandering if anyone had pictures of them or knows where to find some pics. Just interested what they might be painted like. If you have pics please post them.
Thanks CTMustang

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones I've seen on GL (very small sample size) were painted in single color green and often somewhat more rusty than inland dueces. Sometimes (maybe always?) they have US NAVY on the doors and/or tailgate.

c3bosco

I've seen a handful come through GL...most through Gulfport, MS. I agree with the usually single color green and fairly rusty. If you hurry (before tomorrow at 5PM) you could win a couple at the location mentioned above.

Some pics off GL:

Attachments

datsunaholic

If the trucks were officially issued to the Navy they are solid color, but in most cases the M35A2 trucks were DRMO acquisitions. I know my unit had a few- we were issued a pair of A3s but they were incapable of STOPPING the trailers we towed so we turned them back in and ended up with a couple M813A1 5-tons straight out of DRMO and rustier than heck.

The A3s, which were issued to the Navy right out of overhaul, were painted solid green CARC, same as the HMMWV. The same went for the 900-series 5-ton we got later to replace one of the rusty and machanically failing 813s.

The M109 we managed to snag out of DRMO was an Army truck, as were both M813s we had. Most were painted camo, though the 813s were done depot-style with air vs painted with a broom like the 109. One of the 813s we got from DRMO later was never painted camo and still had what looked like the original 1960s semi-gloss Olive Drab, that had discolored to kind of a rusty brown-green. Dunno if it was a former Seabee truck or it was just something that never found a depot it's whole life- it still didn't have seatbelts, and this was 2001. Bone stock original.

I know that the SeeBee trucks would come from the factory in a solid color- either solid green CARC or semigloss olive drab (depended on if they were tactical or commercial variants). Markings were SUPPOSED to be US NAVY on the doors and rear, plus the USN Number on the doors and rear. Usually, ONLY the USN number (USN 93-89761 or such) ever ended up on them. Sometimes a unit sticker as well- we used the Naval Coastal Warfare logo, which was an upside-down triangle with a shark, lightening bolts, etc and "Naval Coastal Warfare" on the perimeter. Unit ID's would go on the bumpers (ours had IBU-12 on them).

Sorry, I have no pictures. It seems silly now, but I never took pics of what I worked on, just other stuff.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a search for seabee truck, there will be alot of threads with pictures.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, being a former swabbie I would be safe painting mine however the heck I wanted so long as it was green and said US Navy on it?

Oh yeah

:)

ctmustang

I was thinking that it would be pretty cool if they were painted battleship grey or navy blue with yellow numbers and letters. But I guess they're not supposed to be pretty so what the heck.:twisted:

wsucougarx

As far as bumper markings. Most didn't have anything. The markings I did see have US NAVY stenciled on the passenger side of the front bumper in 3 inch letters

Numbers

NAVFAC P-300 incorporates the NAVFAC P-404

Authorized colors for Navy equipment do include more than just green. They can be:
Yellow Number 13538
White Number 17886
Green Number 14064
Gray Number 16187
Sand Number 33303
Red Number 11105
Black Number 17038

When camouflage painting is directed, it shall be the three-color camouflage CARC, using the applicable patterns and combinations of colors suggested for various seasons and climatic regions described in the U.S. Marine Corps Camouflage Paint Patterns, TM-4750-15/2-2.

When desert painting is directed, the entire piece of equipment will be painted
CARC, color number 33303.

Location of letters and numerals is in Appendix J, Figure J-6.

Attachments

datsunaholic

Mike, those are the Naval Coastal Warfare logos (the more generic ones) I was talking about- the shark and lighting bolts. Probably MIUW equipment, or maybe IBU 11 or 13.

51MC

Navy Deuces---gray

just to throw my 2cents worth in, and I know current USN trks are mostly green. My wife and I did our Kaiser in Navy flat gray in honor of wife's father,
WWll USN frogman. We had stencils cut with the correct reg. number and did
Seabee markings. Data was done in semi-gloss white with yellow Seabee and
trk name. We have seen several pics from WWll of navy trks and jeeps in this
"navy gray". And the look on an eighty-five year old veteran's face was PRICELESS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks