• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Navy m1009 ?

Saberr

Was trying to de a little research on navy k5 blazers. Recall something in the back my head about them being slightly different, but i can't find anything to substiate that thought. Did the navy have different k5s than army/ marine m1009 ? I know paint is different, anything else ?

cucvrus

How about a picture. The Navy CUCV's were the same 3 color camouflage as the entire CUCV line. Unless they were just a K 5 Blazer. Then they are not a CUCV M1009. I have Navy Seabee CUCV trucks and they were built for the Navy and had that noted on the sticker build sheet in the glovebox. I had USMC, Air Force, Coast Guard trucks and that was notated also. So if the Navy K5 Blazer you are speaking of is blue , white or grey. It is not a CUCV. CUCV's in the old 1983-1987 were all 3 color camouflaged.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Was trying to de a little research on navy k5 blazers. Recall something in the back my head about them being slightly different, but i can't find anything to substiate that thought. Did the navy have different k5s than army/ marine m1009 ? I know paint is different, anything else ?
I can't resist it...

Big Difference is in the attitude of the occupants in the Green K5.
They are a lot grumpier than the guys in the Blue K5.

Unless there is an opportunity for the blue machine occupants (with the funny arm bands) to rough up a slightly inebriated marine

Saberr

Sry not pics :(. One in area im interested in is suppose to be a navy seabee k5, came off navy base, with release form. Was told it was pure 12v, small tires, and 6.2 diesel engine, even in seabee paint. Not sure about shackles or grill guard, forgot ask. Not modded, came from auction as is. CUCV are you seabee trucks different than m1008. more civi style ?

2deuce

What I have seen with the Air Force M1009's ....they were painted with a different shade of green, in the 3 color camo, like it had a little more gray tint to it The Air Force Deuces from the late 80's were the same. I don't know about Navy re-paints, but I remember seeing a black dually CUCV running around on Ft Lewis years ago.

Saberr

I'm thinkings its full civi as well, just with a seabee paint job. Aparently no front cucv bush protector. Guess a base runner, not tactical. So probably a cheapy k5 for base duty with the 6.5, thx400, and no matts so parts are interchangable with whats in inventory ?

Saberr

I'm thinkings its full civi as well, just with a seabee paint job. Aparently no front cucv bush protector. Guess a base runner, not tactical. So probably a cheapy k5 for base duty with the 6.5, thx400, and no matts so parts are interchangable with whats in inventory ?

2deuce

Is it a 1984 model? Does it have the CUCV bumpers with the blackout cutouts? Once in a while I have seen the brush guard removed. They may not have needed a brush guard on a ship too often either.

Saberr

its 1986 with chrome bumpers. THinking of slapping cucv bumber.guard and rims on. Then you have cucv with out 24v system, which easier to source parts for.

cucvrus

Then you have cucv with out 24v system, which easier to source parts for.
Quick question. What parts are so hard to source on a CUCV that are easier to source on a standard K5-K30 GM of the same time period?
And there is only one CUCV. A knock - off make believe CUCV is an Imposter. Like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig. I liked the CUCV since the first one I saw come to the dealership in 1983. I wanted one from that day. I waited 10 years to get one and on April 19th, 1995 I was the proud owner of a 1984 CUCV M1008A1. I was held up at the gate for over an hour to get on the military base to get it and also stopped and searched when I was coming back out. It was the day of the OK city bombing. Good Luck. But like a Jeep there is only 1 CUCV. The real thing. Like it or not it is an American legend in vehicles. I have been told thousands of times. I like your truck. Everywhere I went. Take Care and Be Safe. Get an original CUCV before they are all gone. Everyday I see and hear of another being hacked up and destroyed forever.

I added before they are all gone. Get one. They are far a few between in original condition.

Last edited:

cucvrus

My 85 M1008 was an Air Force truck from either Dobbins or Warner Robbins in Ga. Mine was painted a dark blue color...
Not from the factory it wasn't. All CUCV's were built at the Flint Michigan plant on the same assembly line that was producing the GM light truck civilian models at the same time. If it does not have the 3 color camouflage paint from the factory it was not and is not a true CUCV. I had White USMC 3/4 ton Suburban's White and Blue K5 Blazers that were produced on the same line at the same time as CUCV's. But they were NOT CUCV's. Just setting the record straight. I seen brand new 3 color M1009's get painted 686 tan before they were delivered to the units at FITG. But they were built 3 color camouflage. Check it out. No shiny paint any color CUCV's were ever produced. Nice K5's, K10, K20, K30 and Suburban's of the era but NOT CUCV's. What is the VIN code the first 11?

Last edited:

LT67

Dobbin
Not from the factory it wasn't. All CUCV's were built at the Flint Michigan plant on the same assembly line that was producing the GM light truck civilian models at the same time. If it does not have the 3 color camouflage paint from the factory it was not and is not a true CUCV. I had White USMC 3/4 ton Suburban's White and Blue K5 Blazers that were produced on the same line at the same time as CUCV's. But they were NOT CUCV's. Just setting the record straight. I seen brand new 3 color M1009's get painted 686 tan before they were delivered to the units at FITG. But they were built 3 color camouflage. Check it out. No shiny paint any color CUCV's were ever produced. Nice K5's, K10, K20, K30 and Suburban's of the era but NOT CUCV's. What is the VIN code the first 11?
Dobbins AF base was not too far from my house when I was growing up and in high school in the 80's. I specifically remember driving past the AF base and seeing some of the service vehicles painted a dark flat blue.

And my VIN number verified that I have an 85 M1008...

cucvrus

Dobbins AF base was not too far from my house when I was growing up and in high school in the 80's. I specifically remember driving past the AF base and seeing some of the service vehicles painted a dark flat blue
I don't doubt that but they were not CUCV's from the factory.
Like posted the RPO label shows the paint option. The RPO shown as an example is from an M1009. I live near a base and they have and had many GM vehicles of similar types as CUCV. But that's it similar. Take Care and anyway you have fun do it.

2deuce

I don't remember where I heard it, but CUCV's and civilian blazers weren't produced on the same line at the same time. GM had a special inspector waiting to make sure each CUCV was correct because they were getting a premium price for each. They were supposedly made in batches, probably by the contract. Now of course I wasn't there, so what I'm saying shouldn't be taken as fact, but it has always made sense to me because it was a special build, with special parts, and could explain the paint differences. I'm curious how the different branches of the military received their vehicles. If the Air Force for example had their trucks directly delivered from GM, they went to a paint facility for changes or went to the base from a central holding area where they were officially accepted and got their numbers.
People have told me that the Air Force procured more of their vehicles and parts outside of regular military channels than the other service branches, but the Navy did it too, as they all did.

LT67

Dobbins AF base was not too far from my house when I was growing up and in high school in the 80's. I specifically remember driving past the AF base and seeing some of the service vehicles painted a dark flat blue
Like posted the RPO label shows the paint option. The RPO shown as an example is from an M1009. I live near a base and they have and had many GM vehicles of similar types as CUCV. But that's it similar. Take Care and anyway you have fun do it.
I double checked the VIN before I bought the truck..... and YES it IS an M1008.

It was carc green, but at some point in time while it was in the military it got painted dark flat blue.

After the military the truck went to the East Point Police were it was painted blk/white.

LT67

VIN# 1GCGD34J2FF

cucvrus

I do have pictures somewhere of CUCV's being built on Flint assembly line at the same time as standard trucks, Suburban's. Blazers. No special line. They were painted 3 color camouflage right at GM. I seen them being unloaded at the dealership I worked at and went to GM school in Moorestown NJ for the electrical system and the 6.2 diesel engine. I still have my books and paperwork from that school. These pictures have surfaced here on this sight in the past. The first truck I seen at Moorestown NJ was a different color combination camouflage paint it has earth yellow tones on it and a totally different pattern. It also had the bridge placard on the right side. I still have 1984 Chevrolet Truck sales brochures that have the CUCV in the book. I sent a few out to other members on the site that requested one.
1628197982080.png 1628198004600.png 1628198027334.png 1628198451843.png I had this poster also but I had it hung up so long it disintegrated from age. They are regular production Chevy trucks. Just like the ones you can get, except for a few military adaptations like the special electrical system. I seen it I was at the school. I was at Flint a few years later. What has been seen can not be unseen. If I find my stash of brochures I can post one and maybe send you one. Take Care.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks