• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NC tag/insurance help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck76

Ok looking at a m35a2. Called my insurance....state farm....they said they could cover it under comercial insurance, due to the weight. Does this mean I'm gonna have to run a commercial tag? Or just a weighted tag? It's titled as an 1980 jeep.? Any advice or suggestions from NC owners?

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off I want to compliment you for checking out what the ramifications of owning a large truck would be before buying. :) I deal with antique semi trucks and over the years I've seen a lot of people buy large trucks without thinking, only to find out after the fact that it's going to cost a lot in their state. I gave you some rep points for doing it the smart way. Thanks for doing a little research beforehand instead of jumping in feet first.

As far as your questions the first item (the one about commercial insurance) the answer is: no, you don't have to have commercial tags. You can get commercial insurance while having antique plates if you want. The insurance policy does not dictate the type of tags, it just costs more. I had Progressive on my 1974 IH Transtar semi truck (the one that's in my avatar at the moment) and they wrote me something they called a "non-commercial use commercial policy" because of the weight of the truck. I could have had antique tags on it if I wanted.

Have you talked with Gulfway in Florida for insurance? They might be a cheaper option for you.

As far as tags you might want to search the forums for N.C. tag issues because if I remember correctly N.C. is one the the worst states to own a tandem axle truck in, even if it's GVWR is under 26,001 pounds. And N.C. tag requirements have been talked about many times already so you should have no problem finding what you need via the search option. Also, you might want to search for N.C. fuel decal while you're at it as I've seen this come up several times too.

Hope this helps and hopefully some N.C. members will add their advice later on.

DEVILDOC

just picked up tags and asked for 18,ooolb tag and it was 133.00 a yr here in nc just saying, went the farm tag is was $197.89 then other way 375.89, Gloria at Raleigh DMV said just ask for a 18,000lb tag whenever i go in and I did and it was $133 yr .... WTH why some many differ ways whenever you ask some differ......LOL!:shock:

llong66

As far as insur goes, I use Grundy World Wide, I first found out about them with my vette, but they are a collector car insur. company and due to the age of most of our vehicles, they will insur them. Its really nice, you specifify the value you want it covered for and the write a policy, $0 deductable, glass coverage and all, and you cant beat the price. One caveat, they have to be garraged, but no milage restrictions or anything.

bottleworks

Theme 1 : DON'T ASSUME WHAT WORKS IN A DIFFERENT STATE APPLIES IN NC!
Theme 2 : It's all about the weight!

In NC you have to have a tag which covers the weight of the truck and and the weight of any cargo and/or trailer pulled. If you qualify for a farm tag (because you meet those definitions), you can use that. That is a commercial tag by definition. I use a farm tag, but I own a small farm and use the truck within the allowances for NC farm tags.

You will be getting a commercial weighed tag. Yes, I did say commercial. Any tag over 6K is considered commercial.
From the NC Title Manual:
Effective January 1, 2003 all vehicles with a declared weight of 7,000 to 26,000 will be issued a commercial plate
showing the word “Weighted.” Vehicles weighing 26,001 through 80,000 pounds will be issued a new permanent truck plate.
If you get an antique tag, you still have to pay for the weight on the tag. There is no exemptions in NC with antique tags like in other states. An antique tag will cost more in the end... You paying extra for the "antique" type tag.

You also have to get a Fuel decal because it's a 3 axle truck. You can get a ticket for not displaying it. Some NC'er on this forum have!

I seem to know too much about NC titling/DMV regulations... :oops:

And...

Those that say "the lady said this tag is fine" are in loads of trouble if they get caught. What the contractor who sells a tag says doesn't mean anything. They very well may know very little about the regulations. Despite it being their job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks