• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NC Weigh Station Requirements!

bottleworks

This is for NC -- North Carolina, not the others!! NC is different then the rest with large trucks.

I found this on NC weigh station requirements:

What trucks are required to enter a North Carolina Weigh Station?
All trucks (or a truck and trailer combination) with a manufacturer?s GVWR of 10,001 lb or more are required to enter a Weigh Station in North Carolina.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NC tags F-250/2500 series trucks differently than other states. Seems to be a requirement of some sort here...

I've never been waived into a weigh station, when pulling or not pulling my featherlite gooseneck trailer.

bottleworks

When you say "large trucks", does that refer to commercial vehicles only?
It would appear any truck over 10K regardless of use. In NC, any tags with weight of 7K up to 26K is a commercial plate. 26K+ requires a permanent truck plate.

I'm trying to get ready to propose a law change to remove the NC fuel decal requirement for 3 axle trucks plated with farm plates and 3 axle trucks used for personal uses. Any lawyers in NC who wish to help, please contact me.

panshark

Good luck bottleworks, show everyone what positive things one person can start! I'm excited to follow your progress. I'm a pretty good proofreader, so if you want to shoot off some letters to your local congressmen, I'm willing to give them a preliminary look-see for you! (Sorry, I don't have a law degree.)

bottleworks

Here it is:
20-118.1. Officers may weigh vehicles and require overloads to be removed.
A law enforcement officer may stop and weigh a vehicle to determine if the vehicle's weight is in compliance with the vehicle's declared gross weight and the weight limits set in this Part. The officer may require the driver of the vehicle to drive to a scale located within five miles of where the officer stopped the vehicle.
Any person operating a vehicle or a combination of vehicles having a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more or any vehicle transporting hazardous materials that is required to be placarded under 49 C.F.R. § 171-180 must enter a permanent weigh station or temporary inspection or weigh site as directed by duly erected signs or an electronic transponder for the purpose of being electronically screened for compliance, or weighed, or inspected.
If the vehicle's weight exceeds the amount allowable, the officer may detain the vehicle until the overload has been removed. Any property removed from a vehicle because the vehicle was overloaded is the responsibility of the owner or operator of the vehicle. The State is not liable for damage to or loss of the removed property.
Failure to permit a vehicle to be weighed or to remove an overload is a misdemeanor of the Class set in G.S. 20-176. An officer must weigh a vehicle with a scale that has been approved by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
A privately owned noncommercial horse trailer constructed to transport four or fewer horses shall not be required to stop at any permanent weigh station in the State while transporting horses, unless the driver of the vehicle hauling the trailer is directed to stop by a law enforcement officer. A "privately owned noncommercial horse trailer" means a trailer used solely for the occasional transportation of horses and not for compensation or in furtherance of a commercial enterprise. (1927, c. 148, s. 37; 1949, c. 1207, s. 3; 1951, c. 1013, s. 4; 1979, c. 436, ss. 1, 2; 1981 (Reg. Sess., 1982), c. 1259, s. 2; 1993, c. 539, s. 356; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1995, c. 109, s. 4; 1997-261, s. 109; 2001-487, s. 50(f); 2003-338, s. 1.)

bottleworks

Any truck with a GVWR of more than 10,000 Lbs is considered a commercial truck in NC. This is regardless of use. All "commercial trucks" in NC have different insurance requirements then private autos. As a result, a M35A2 trucks must have at least $750,000 of insurance. :roll:

Any truck with a GVWR of more than 10,000 Lbs is considered a commercial truck in NC. This is regardless of use. All "commercial trucks" in NC have different insurance requirements then private autos. As a result, a M35A2 trucks must have at least $750,000 of insurance. :roll:
Sounds like a good enough reason to bob it if you live in NC! And I thought The Peoples Republik of Kommiefornia was a bummer place to own a deuce!
:whistle:

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is for NC -- North Carolina, not the others!! NC is different then the rest with large trucks.

I found this on NC weigh station requirements:
Yes, NC is one of the strictest states when it comes to weigh scale requirements. If you are driving a 6x6 (whether it's a 2.5 ton or 5 ton, loaded or not) through NC and have out of state plates you better have IRP/IFTA or trip permits too as they do not exempt trucks used for personal use (unless it's registered as an RV). The reason is their rules say any tandem axle truck (regardless of it's GVWR) is commercial and falls under IFTA and IRP. Years ago I drove a single axle semi truck with trailer from VA down to Florida and the first weigh scale I stopped at in NC issued me $600 in fines for not having IRP and IFTA. IRP and IFTA trip permits are cheap insurance when compared to a $600 ticket.

What gets me is how so many people on SteelSoldiers seem to be afraid of weigh scales. You would think they were talking about the boogie man. If you're following the laws and have the proper registration and insurance then what's the problem? :)

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I maintain that many, perhaps most, people want to be compliant and would be, if given a reasonable option to do so.

Fact is that many jurisdictions (state or, in Canada, provinces) are de-facto hostile towards historic vehicle registration and usage if said vehicle does not fall into a very narrow category, usually with a weight limit attached that is much lower than the weight of an empty Deuce.

This leads to a situation where neither the character of the vehicle, nor its ownership or use are accurately reflected by any of the available licensing categories and the only remaining option is some form of a "catchall" vehicle definition or categorization that was generally written with the intent to capture one commercially used vehicle or another in order to ensure that such vehicles in heavy commercial day-to-day use pay what is considered their fair share of taxes and fees.

As an end result, the owner/operator of a historic military vehicle weighing what our Deuces weigh is often left with being forced to register the vehicle as something it is not and bear the associated consequences.

In many cases, the onerous and expensive requirements for commercial heavy vehicle ownership are detrimental or prohibitive for the hobby. That we are not alone in this dilemma and many collectors of antique former commercial vehicles that are now "retired" to a life of car shows and admiration face the exact same problem is not really a cure for the pain.

It cannot be in the interest of historic vehicle preservation to remove axles and cut the frames, just to qualify for more reasonable registration and insurance conditions.

Let's also not forget that the employees of the DMV, MVB, or whatever they call it in your area, aren't mathmeticians or rocket scientists. EXAMPLE: The first time I registered my home-built Volkswagen trike, 3 California DMV employees and a supervisor stood out in the parking lot with a DMV book on the back of my trike for 25 minutes trying to figure out how to classify it for registration. It kinda reminded me of an old 3 Stooges bit. Downright comical!
Finally, a supervisor who actually knew what he was doing came out to see what was taking so long, and when he saw thier confusion, took the book, found the right classification and showed them where it was. My point being some state employees don't nesicarily pencil-screw us on purpose. Sometimes they don't know any better. Someone once said "Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity" (or ignorance).
:whistle:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never stopped at a NC weigh station while traveling thru. I will not stop until the state of SC tells me that a personal vehicle has to stop at all weigh stations in this country. If I am stopped, I will take it to court, as I am in compliance with all applicable SC state rules and regulations.
If the state of NC wishes to enforce their laws on citizens of other states, then I want the right to vote in NC elections.:driver:

bottleworks

I have never stopped at a NC weigh station while traveling thru. I will not stop until the state of SC tells me that a personal vehicle has to stop at all weigh stations in this country. If I am stopped, I will take it to court, as I am in compliance with all applicable SC state rules and regulations.
If the state of NC wishes to enforce their laws on citizens of other states, then I want the right to vote in NC elections.:driver:
Your arrogance will cost you at some point. Being that you're in SC, you might want to know about the SC regulations that went into effect last October. Anyways, you will soon find (when you get pulled over in SC) that SC is now much more like NC with regards to these rules. BTW, You don't get to claim SC rules in NC.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to do a little more research.........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks