• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ndcc tires

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends. How worn are they now? Will you be loading the truck down with a trailer? I had an 818 and a military tanker. The tanker had brand new ndcc tires, and they all failed (large sections of tread) in short order under load at 50mph. I went through 3 sets on the m818 over the course of 4 years and approx. 25k miles.

I have a set of g177 radials on my deuce, and they wear like iron. Still look newish even after about 20k miles.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Non Directional Cross Country tires are NOT really designed as road tires, hense the name, put some 1100r x 20s on, you WILL be a LOT happier.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the G177's. A much better tire by far. You may be able to source those locally to you. I got mine locally, but I don't know if my source is still good for them. PM me if you want their contact info.

Justgaudot

Thank you all for your advice. I won't be running loaded. This truck will be an almost daily driven Tonka truck mostly on road but about 1/4-1/3 of the miles off road in all different terrains. It will be a fun camping and trip taking truck. I just need to save money where I can. I chose the m818 for its shorter wheel base, it will get a bed eventually. I thought the ndcc's would be good since they can be had for $100 all day long but with that kind of wear, obviously, they won't be the best choice. G177's it is. Again thank you all. This forum has been a huge help in all the decisions leading to what truck I want and how I want to set it up. God bless you all. Justin

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a XM818 I bought in 2009 with 147 miles and new NDCCs. It now has over 4800 miles and I had to replace the front tires around 4000 miles due to wear and cupping. The rear tires still have about 2/3-3/4 of the tread left. All of the miles are highway, and most are with a load.

20130626_095633.jpg 20131207_124951.jpg

I have a M931 with G177s used in the same manner that has a similar tire wear pattern. The front tires wear quickly and cupping is an issue. The rear tires have minimal wear. I don't have as good of a data record as with the XM818, but my impression is the G177s have only a slight advantage in tire wear.

If I rotated the tires in both trucks as per the TM, I should be able to get 10-20K miles out of a set of tires. However, the tires would probably would probably be too weathered due to age before they wore out

Jeepsinker

The singles usually rot while the tread is still quite high. Not only that, but a lot of the time it is a constant battle to keep air in them. The combat rims suck for that. It is a lot of work to break one down and replace the sealing ring and valve stem, and even that is no guarantee that it won't leak. Those rims were made and fielded with a working ctis system being used in mind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks