• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nearing end of CUCV GL availability?

dependable

I have noticed fewer cucvs up in future sales. I realize the whole point of GL is to get rid of obsolete equipment. Are we getting to the bottom of the barrel? The government has been getting rid of these for a long time.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pass several National Guard lots on a regular basis, and most of the CUCV series are gone. However, seems like the military wants to keep the M1028A3s for a while longer, the lots I see have several in each, with the dually setup and newer paint jobs....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The end is coming boys, of military vehicles surplussed to the public. Argue all you want...... this is the twilight of the giants.

wsucougarx

Indeed the end is before us. CUCV's and deuces are drying up. It was fun while it lasted, however I still do see several CUCV's and deuces on the active duty side. Hopefully, they'll get orders soon to turn them in before the official end in early 2009.

hobie237

So what? Even if they stopped releasing them, it's not like there aren't plenty of them second, third, fourth and fifth hand floating around. Between local and state governments and various other departments, and private buyers selling them off- it's not like CUCVs are rare or hard to come by, or will be for the foreseeable future.

So you can't get them from GL, you have to buy them second hand? So what? At least you get a title with them that way.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hobie237 said:
So what? Even if they stopped releasing them, it's not like there aren't plenty of them second, third, fourth and fifth hand floating around. Between local and state governments and various other departments, and private buyers selling them off- it's not like CUCVs are rare or hard to come by, or will be for the foreseeable future.

So you can't get them from GL, you have to buy them second hand? So what? At least you get a title with them that way.
Amen to that brother! A-MEN!

JeepMan

hobie237 said:

Just look at the WWII jeeps that are in private hands that are showing up for sale.
Although alot of people are saying that they can't be found these days.

hobie237

Anything can be found for the right price if you know where to look.

Right now, I could buy any one of several CUCVs, in running condition. I *chose* to buy mine second-hand, because then I didn't have to deal with dragging it home and seeing what was wrong with it, I could test drive it and everything *before* I bought it. Look in the classifieds. There are plenty of military vehicles, in all sizes, shapes and descriptions, available at all sorts of prices.

Sure, you can't find an all-original, low-mileage, perfectly restored WWII Jeep for $2500.

Seems like there are three groups- the ones who don't know where to look, the ones who don't want to pay what the market demands, and the ones that think cessation of government releases somehow equates to a cutoff of supply. None of these groups seem to be paying attention, or maybe it's just that seemingly basic human need for constant drama and a feeling that the world is just barely holding together.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple supply and demand. If there is someone out there willing to pay a price for a thing, even if they all technically have to be destroyed, he will pay big money for parts and build his own, even if it can't do 100% of what the original can do. When my $$$ situation evens out, I am tempted to start gathering together the FMTV parts I can find, since they surplus them out, and build my own truck. Look, Jones has build a shorty HEMTT out of deuce parts, HEMTT parts and a lot of know-how and acetylene. Guys have pieced together tanks and APCs out of the demilled parts that were available, and slowly brought them back to life. HMMWVs can be build out of the spare parts they sell off, and yes, the parts, even the frames, come out in different ways.

This little "war on terror" will not be the end of our surplus system, our hobby, or our dedication to rebuilding these rigs. Sure, a lot will be distracted, but the die-hard collectors will fire up the welder, gather together what spare parts he/she can find, and get building.

Jesse James and Monster Garage ain't got nothing on us!

randyscycle

I'm sure at some point the CUCV collection the govt has will dry up, just as the M211's, M715's etc did some years back.

I'd also keep in mind that whoever gets into the White House next may or may not influence some of the decisions to unload unused stuff. That could change the current situation for good or bad. Who knows yet.

lenz1079

the end of the duece is nearing also... the city of peoria Il was being flooded and they called the national gaurd to get a duece to fjord to the sewer plant to save equipment. The Gaurd said sorry all out, we gave them away. but here is the list of where they went. I received a phone call for help but was unavailable.. so we sent the sister ship to my duece, the city of Lacon, and she did the job. the end is near ( god i feel like a babtist, no offense)

hobie237

Weren't those deuces replaced with something? I mean, I never underestimate the ability of those in power to do stupid, stupid things, but something tells me that the Guard and other branches of the service aren't just selling off all their vehicles and becoming immobile.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks