• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Neat use for a Director's Trailer, M17?

25 pounder

I've got 2 of them myself , one is equipped with the Maxson .50 cal guns , the second one is being restored right now , both are made by "Brill" ;
I noticed , some have lockers at the front and rear , others only have the lockers at the rear. Both of mine have 4 lockers each , is there a difference in lenght between the 2 types of trailers ?

25 pounder

They're getting scarce over here , most of them were used by farmers after the war , until they "died" :-(
I intend to restore mine as a director trailer with canvas cover , goes with our 9th USAAF theme

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saved one! Fruehauf M1 Searchlight trailer, has the tag. Haven't picked it up yet.

There's no date on the tag, just a 4 digit serial(?) number.

Weird brakes! Looks like no service brakes but a "train-car-type" wheel to screw down the brakes. Serious hardware!

Hope this is a good place to post. Not much activity on this trailer series G-221.

Any comments welcome.

Attachments

DMax82

Saved one! Fruehauf M1 Searchlight trailer, has the tag. Haven't picked it up yet.

Weird brakes! Looks like no service brakes but a "train-car-type" wheel to screw down the brakes. Serious hardware!

Hope this is a good place to post. Not much activity on this trailer series G-221.

Any comments welcome.
Sweet! Is that the one that was at auction in Athens? I was tracking a couple of items they had for sale. Had no idea that it was this type of trailer.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Any comments welcome.
SWEET!
I've wanted a Search Light for a LONG time.
Will you be "searching" for one to mount on your trailer?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet! Is that the one that was at auction in Athens? I was tracking a couple of items they had for sale. Had no idea that it was this type of trailer.
Yes, that's the one. I did not know exactly what it was either until I drove over there to look at it. It will take some work but it's quite restorable to a usable and interesting-looking trailer. I especially like the low loading height for everyday chores. Sure beats the 5 ft high LMTV deck which will be pulling this trailer.

I have no plan to add the search light back on :) Several similar versions of this trailer exist, apparently with and without leveling jacks, with and without a triangular deck on the tongue, two or four compartments, with and without nose wheel, etc. I'll let this trailer pretend to be whichever it likes to be (just not compete in any races).

Brakes: I did read in some specs that some G-221 series brakes were electric, and apparently 6 volt. Getting them working will be a goal. If this is a later trailer maybe not 6 volt. 24 volt would be nice (Korea era)?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks