• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need 24v to 12v converter for dump bed

jbird3898

I have installed a dum bed on my duece just electric over hydro. Well needless to say i have gone through 3 batteries because the 12 v hydro pump is hooked up to just one o my 12 volt bateries. I know i need a converter but the amps peak at 165. Can i get something to handle this type of load?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look up "battery equalizer"... OPCOM has experience here.
Also, check out batteries that can handle deep discharge better than "starting " types, Optima yellow or blue top.

Lorax

Don Ballard has/had some for sale in the classifieds section. DC-DC converters. 24VDC to 12VDC. I believe they're good for supplying up to 35 amps too. I ordered a couple from him, and when they came in they looked brand new. Still wrapped up in styrofoam and plastic. Circuit breaker ON/OFF switch too. He said he was bringing some to Aberdeen, so I don't know if he has any left to sell.

hof3414

You apparently already have pump installed but the dump kit I am going to order is from Pierce Sales and they are going to supply me a 24 volt pump. Maybe you could sell yours and get one of these, might be easier than converting 12 to 24 volt. Just a thought.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have installed a dum bed on my duece just electric over hydro. Well needless to say i have gone through 3 batteries because the 12 v hydro pump is hooked up to just one o my 12 volt bateries. I know i need a converter but the amps peak at 165. Can i get something to handle this type of load?

I don't know what in the world you are going to have to pay for a 165 amp converter. You may just have better luck replacing the electric motor with a 24V unit. I have a 24V unit in my dump truck and I am very happy with it.

Or maybe a 3rd battery, used only to power 12V accessories. You can recharge it using a second 12V only alternator or one of the military dual output 12/24V alternators.

KsM715

Ive heard of people using 12v pump motors on 24volts. They run faster and cooler from what Ive heard. YMMV.

Tanglewood16137

Just wire the pump up with 24 volts it will be fine actually it is easier on it than dumping a load on 12 volts. those motors can handle up to 48 volts. How do you think they get the the nigerian boys cars to hop? 48 volts to a 12 volt pump so it will pump fast enough!!! DUH

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks