• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need 700R4 TV cable bracket

hobie237

Anybody got a good source? Any and all help appreciated. It's one of the few remaining pieces I need to get the 700 in my truck.

BobM

Do you already have a torque converter and a flexplate? If so, do you have any spares?;-) I am also looking for the parts to install the 700R4 and transfer case I bought out of a gasser burban.

mangus580

Do you already have a torque converter and a flexplate? If so, do you have any spares?;-) I am also looking for the parts to install the 700R4 and transfer case I bought out of a gasser burban.
Flex plate can be had at your local auto parts.

I would suggest a new torque converter as well. Plus you will need to reset the governor on the tail shaft output of the tranny to shift at diesel shift points.

BobM

Flex plate can be had at your local auto parts.

I would suggest a new torque converter as well. Plus you will need to reset the governor on the tail shaft output of the tranny to shift at diesel shift points.
Can these be reset, or do you need to replace the governor? And how hard would this be?:?:

mangus580

Its mostly a spring change I think. They are very easy to swap out. The cover is 'pressed' in, and you just pop it off, slide the governor out and put the new one in.

hobie237

I've got a torque converter, NP241, 700R4, TV cable sticking out of the trans, and a pile of bolts.

Flexplate should be on its way soon, or I can just get it from the auto parts store.

I need the TV cable bracket, transfer case adapter/pedestal and torque converter lockup wiring. The latter two are pretty easy to come by, it's the TV cable bracket that's killing me.

Croatan_Kid

I've got two 700R4/NP208 adapters sitting here in my shop. They are the short style, the tall ones are like 11 inches tall. If you need one let me know! I'm trying to find a home for them. :roll:

Croatan_Kid

Yeah, to be a direct bolt in you do. These will work, if you make a spacer or spacers. You could also make a high clearance crossmember.....:roll:

I was going to use a short one until I found a tall one at the last minute. They're kinda hard to find.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I recommend them as well.

bowtieoverdrives.com I did a 700R4 swap on a 78 Chev, they can get you all the pieces you need.

Sorry, I didn't notice, you are keeping the Diesel correct?, if so, these guys probably won't have the parts.....

Last edited:

hobie237

That's the problem- the diesel. If I had a gasser, it wouldn't be an issue at all, TV brackets are pretty commonly available for any reasonably, remotely common setup, dime a dozen.

After much thought/discussion though (to the point that my girlfriend, friends, co-workers, turtles, lizard and cat are all thoroughly sick of hearing about it) I'm having more and more doubts about the 700. I do use this truck for some pretty heavy usage at times, particularly off-road- I'm the designated recovery vehicle for getting everybody else out of the muck.

I'm going to be putting on at least 36" tires, which will raise the top speed from ~70mph to ~80mph, giving me a pretty comfortable 65mph cruise. The main reason for wanting the 700 wasn't the overdrive so much as the lower 1st gear to compensate for the larger tires, which will act as the overdrive. I like the deep gearing and I want to keep it.

Anyhoo, I'm now pretty worried about blowing up the 700. I've smoked 3 of them in my S-10 (well, actually smoked the same trans a couple times over and kept rebuilding it), which I attributed mostly to overheating when towing/hauling (I towed/hauled loads well in excess of the S-10's capabilities, which is why I bought the CUCV), but I've come to the conclusion that offroad use of the 700, particularly dragging people out of the muck, will likely have the same problems, and the last thing I need is to be left on a trail with a baked trans, debating whether I should be pulled out by a 4-cyl Wrangler or an S-10 Blazer.

The SM465 is looking like a more attractive option, but I'm trying now to figure out exactly what parts I'd need to swap in and how hard they are to find, as well as how much they cost.

pc3nmcb

I don't know if you got your piece or not but this is listed ST Louis Craigslist. Hope it helps you.

Blazer K5 parts & 6.2l diesel,700r4,transfer case

front doors manual w/glass.
motor 82 6.2l diesel can here run.
700r4 trans newly rebuilt.
transfer case
front and rear axle assymbles
radiator
master cyl w/hydroboost assy
many other parts. if not listed please email me. Thanks Toby
freblazin@yahoo.com

hobie237

I've got the 700, torque converter, NP241 and a couple other parts, thanks, though. Looks like the parts that I do have may be going up for sale.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TV cable adjustment (or lack there of) is the death of many a 700R4. Built right they are an extremely durable tranny.

Croatan_Kid

Don't be scared by what you've heard about the 700R4, they're stout when built right, as with anything.

But, to swap in a manual trans you'd need:

a flywheel
clutch set w/ pilot bearing and throwout bearing
bell housing
clutch fork
clutch hydraulics (master cyl, slave cyl, and hose)
transmission
transfer case (unless you use a newer SM465 that came with a 32 spline output)
both driveshafts
transfer case adapter
shifter for the trans
the ever alusize clutch/brake pedal set

I'm sure there's a lot more little small stuff you'll need too. Any way you look at it, it's not going to be cheap or easy.

hobie237

Ok, so the newer SM465s came with 32 spline, meaning I could use the existing NP208? Would I still need an adapter?

Which trucks could I get the driveshafts out of? Obviously 1-ton, but are 3/4 ton parts the same?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks