• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need 803 parts, crankshaft bolt.

jamawieb

There are little notches for the screw driver to fit into and pry. You'll barely lift the motor up, then put blocks under the head, then lower and separate by pulling the motor towards the radiator (but of course the radiator is gone now). Sometimes I have to use a bearing puller on the rear of the head to push the rotor away from the stator (where the bearing is located). Good Luck!

Guyfang

Staff member
Take your time. You do not want to screw up some winding, or other good things. Do use some help. Look at what you got. Don't just attack it. Understand what will and could happen when you do certain things. Like I said, its not hard. Its also easy to screw it up in haste. Sometime a light tap with a dead weight hammer is all that's needed.

CapePrep

803 engine removal

So, another first! After much work, unscrewing of small screws, head scratching and throwing my hands up, I decided to just remove the gen head and the engine together. Once I saw that the head was only really connected by 12 wires and a quick disconnect connector, I decided to pull the whole shebang! After that, was pretty basic getting the 2 separated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-yymE7kzco&feature=youtu.be. Now working on negotiating on a new motor. (Daybreak, I can't pass up a challenge and a project!)
IMG_7985.jpgIMG_7986.jpgIMG_7987.jpgIMG_7990.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
Now, while waiting for an engine, take the time to make it all good. Look at things. Make sure its clean. Start with the tub, and go from there. He who puts a set back together filthy should be horse whipped. Inspect the shock isolaters. rub some silicone grease on them. All other rubber parts also. Soak the nuts screws and bolts, then clean them. Toss out the crappy ones. If it was me, I would have bought all new nuts, screws and bolts for putting the skin back on. Look at your wire harness. Repair as needed. You dont get this kind of opportunity to go so far into a set often. Now use it.

CapePrep

Guy, per your request......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdMVLxt3QzM

Now, while waiting for an engine, take the time to make it all good. Look at things. Make sure its clean. Start with the tub, and go from there. He who puts a set back together filthy should be horse whipped. Inspect the shock isolaters. rub some silicone grease on them. All other rubber parts also. Soak the nuts screws and bolts, then clean them. Toss out the crappy ones. If it was me, I would have bought all new nuts, screws and bolts for putting the skin back on. Look at your wire harness. Repair as needed. You dont get this kind of opportunity to go so far into a set often. Now use it.

CapePrep

I officially have a problem

Just a continuation of the saga. I picked up an 813 yesterday to rob the engine out of. Was a unit that someone bought without doing research here and than posted here trying to resolve his issues. That didn't go so well shall we say! But, I have it, the engine started right up and I am in the process of installing it on my 803. So, from a month and a half ago I didnt' have any kind of old military metal, now I have 3 gens and am looking for an LMTV!
IMG_8011.jpg

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a continuation of the saga. I picked up an 813 yesterday to rob the engine out of. Was a unit that someone bought without doing research here and than posted here trying to resolve his issues. That didn't go so well shall we say! But, I have it, the engine started right up and I am in the process of installing it on my 803. So, from a month and a half ago I didnt' have any kind of old military metal, now I have 3 gens and am looking for an LMTV!
View attachment 719797
By the looks of things, you'll be having to build another building soon to increase your work/storage area.:grin: One things for sure, you'll have an excellent understanding of these generators when all is said and done and a very dependable running unit.[thumbzup][thumbzup]

CapePrep

Farmit, Funny you mention more work space, currently designing and planning an addition for this spring on the shop!
Stopped working at 7 tonight after getting engine started. Had some issues initially with a dead short when I would turn the S1 on. Started to melt the cable going to the pre heat relay. After some diagnosis, seems like one of my glow plugs is shorting to ground. Once I disconnected those I Ran it for short time because didnt' have the cooling system hooked up yet. It is producing voltage, nothing on Hz meter, can't seem to get the AC interrupter switch to activate. Will do more trouble shooting tomorrow.
By the looks of things, you'll be having to build another building soon to increase your work/storage area.:grin: One things for sure, you'll have an excellent understanding of these generators when all is said and done and a very dependable running unit.[thumbzup][thumbzup]