• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need a bit of info.

reuben

I just got a 5 ton semi tractor that's in kind of rough shape bodywise but seems reasonably sound mechanically, been used in logging most reciently, I was told it is a diamond T made around 1970. I'd like to get it running and fix it up at least enough to use.
Supposed to have had an engine rebuild not too long ago and it had some problem with fuel delivery to the engine that stopped it. and has some torn off brake lines.
So my questions at this point is what brake fluid was used in them, regular kind or silicone? can't find any indication on it, all the stickers are painted over. and how would i go about getting a title? as of 2 owners back it had none so I don't know if it ever did.
And then I'm wondering what the tire options are besides just getting a new set from a local truck tire dealer. it'll need a full set of tires and one whole wheel, as all it's tires are either very old, worn out, or torn up, 11x20 in size, and one is a 24.5 which is the one I need a 20 for to match the others.
I do some farming, logging, mechanicing, and general odds and ends here in middle TN on the cumberland plateau, this year we're making a lot of hay and sure could use some significant hay hauling capacity, so it'd really be useful. I got it for less than scrap price so I figgered it's a decent deal, if it turns out totally no good I can still be ahead by taking it to the scrap yard, but I'd much rather put it to work.
It had a tan piant job over green, which was then oversprayed by more green kind of roughly like it was a non military spray can job. So I'm supposing it was in the military through the gulf war and then decomissioned soon after when it would have been in the vacinity of 25 years old.
Thanks for any info.

Far as brake fluid Dot 5.

for tires do you wanta run NDT, street tread, XLs, super singles? what is your plans. I have rims and such sitting here. but you have many options available to you on tires.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If it was a logging truck, I bet it has dot 3 in it. Those guys are cheap. As much as I hate to say it, sometimes its better to start off with a running truck. Get us some pics and we can help better. We might be able to help with a model# and tell you what motor is in it. Welcome to the site.

reuben

A friend has a smaller deuce dump truck that has stickers saying only silicone fluid so I was wondering about this one, but the stuff that leaked when I removed a brake line smelled and felt like regular brake fluid so I suppose thats what it is.

I like mechanical challenges so it's right down my line :D Just tried to get a picture but discovered my cheap camera run it's batteries down sitting for a month, going to have to get new ones and keep them out of it except when needed.

I'll see if I can get the VIN info, plate is painted over.

as for tires, I don't have a good idea what would be best, just need something that has good traction for offroad as well as not too bad for loads on road, and not any higher priced than necessary. of course it won't be hauling maximum loads at modern freeway speeds, but still needs to be a reasonably tough tire. If it turns out to be reliable transport I might just do an occasional cross country trip to get supplies for farming, but it would be done by taking my time and taking the smallest back roads, as well as using some kind of cheap or 0 cost fuel. I've been using old 60's vintage 2.5 ton chevy trucks for the last 20 years with whatever tires happen to come my way, usually 8.25 and 9x20's. been using some military tires I got from a junkyard in MI for $15 ea on the chevy truck and a homemade forklift. wish I could get more but that was over 10 years ago, the yard had some contract where they were getting all the tires engines and transmissions from a major rebuild of trucks on some base, they had 100's of white diesel engines sitting around and were trying to sell them out at $500 ea.

I've done my share of extreem offroading, started out at about 22 years old about 20 years ago with a subaru brat, took it places that a brat souldn't have gone. had several 4x4 trucks sence then, still use an '81 dodge for work. But I've done it so much in everyday work it's like everyday life as usual and it gets boring, so even though I love to take the back roads and don't hesitate to try rough places, I'd just as soon take a horse or 2 along and do the real serious offroading on a real live off roading 4 hoof drive "machine"

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if it is a diamond t, it is a 50s, maybe a very early (i doubt it) 60s, m52, started out as a gasser with a 6602 in it, if it was up graded by the military ,it most likely had a mack put in to make it a m52a1, if up graded after military service, no telling what motor is in it. does it have a data plate?????

my old m52 had SEVERALl coats of paint with the last being 4 color desert camo, i know for a fact that it never saw any of the fun and games in the sand box, it was in private hands before any of that nastiness went down

reuben

If the VIN plate is the one to the top left of the glove box, it's missing. I was told there's an identical truck at a sawmill that sells a few Mil. trucks nearby, I'll see if it's still there and get some info from it. The engine is labeled Multifuel, (oops, forgot to wright down the maker, but it's in MI) SN 381001 Mod. no. LDT-465-1D-5705273 rebuilt by TEAD 5-88, with std bore,

reuben

RE: pictures

will have to find a good old beat up trailer to match, then we'll use it for whatever it's good for, hauling hay from field to storage would be a commen job in summer. ( I'm off to cut some more tomorrow.) or hauling the dozer around on local jobs.
Found used military tires for $65 ea supposed to be 50-80% tread, I guess they would be good enough for now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks