• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a coolant crossover pipe

grayw0lf

I went to change the thermostat & broke the bolt off. Its stuck as can be. I broke off 2 screw extractors on it. Unfortuantely, you can't very well drill through those.

Anyone have a coolant crossover to fit a CUCV for a decent price???

Thanks guys,

John O>.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being that the thermostat housing is aluminum and the bolt/extractor is steel, you can weld a nut onto the broken bolt without damaging the housing.

It may take a few attempts but it can be done.

I just did this on a Ford 5.0L. The thermo bolt broke and I had to MIG weld 5 or 6 nuts on before the bolt finally came out. Each one would break off.

Just take your time, try tightening and then loosening the bolt. Between the heat and working the bolt, it should finally come out.

Or just buy a new one........:-D

REMEMBER - When you reinstall the new bolt, put some anti-seize on the threads!!!!!

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats the old saying???? Neccessity in the mother of all invention.

If you use your brain and not depend on a computer to tell you what to do, you can accomplish alot. ;)

I think that is what makes this hobby fun for me. Figuring out ways to fix a problem without breaking out the checkbook.

Last edited:

grayw0lf

I definately tried welding it. My MIG died, so I only have stick to work with. I welded it on what I thought to be quite solid several times & just kept breaking it off again.

Being that the thermostat housing is aluminum and the bolt/extractor is steel, you can weld a nut onto the broken bolt without damaging the housing.

It may take a few attempts but it can be done.

I just did this on a Ford 5.0L. The thermo bolt broke and I had to MIG weld 5 or 6 nuts on before the bolt finally came out. Each one would break off.

Just take your time, try tightening and then loosening the bolt. Between the heat and working the bolt, it should finally come out.

Or just buy a new one........:-D

REMEMBER - When you reinstall the new bolt, put some anti-seize on the threads!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks