• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a little tech advice on alt rebuild

iacucv

Hey guys. Voltage regulator on drivers side alt decided 17-18 volts was a happy spot on me. Dont think it did any damage before i could limp it home keeping rpms low. Got a rebuild kit from Tow4, and rebuilt it last weekend. Im no electrical expert but the rebuild threads here helped me out. I was rather paranoid about making sure the grounds were isolated though, so before reassembling the alt I checked to make sure there was no continuity between any of the bolts or screws that had isolators. Also I double checked all thr isolators very well.

So on to this, before installing the alt I decided to check continuity of the posts to make sure the ground was isolated correctly. + post, no cont. - post, no cont. No cont between the 2 either. However, the small center post does have some continuity between both the + and - posts, somewhere around 510 ohm to both. Is this normal? Or do i need to crack this thing back open before I fry batteries and who knows what else? Also i know the drivers side doesnt necessarily have to be isolated but I would like to keep them both isolated for interchangability. Attempt to post photo of said "middle post" -
Failed. Its the small one between the neg and positive posts

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The small post terminal between the B+ and B- is connected to one of the rectifier studs. It will have continuity through the rectifier diodes between the B+ and B- terminals depending on the polarity of the test leads.

That is normal.

iacucv

Thank goodness! Winter is a coming and I need to get the 1009 rolling. Still gotta get a block heater put in too. Thank you timarr and thank you again Ray!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks