• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a m35a2 in NW Houston

c3bosco

I have been reading this site for a couple of weeks now, and your stories have convinced me that I need a deuce (by "a deuce" i mean my first one, i have 7 acres of storage capacity in Magnolia, Texas). My problem is that I'm torn between purchasing one from GL or buying one from someone. I am all for adventure, and it seems like most of you have good luck and good advice on how to prepare for the worst, but I haven't convinced myself that driving one 300+ miles off of a base is a good idea given my experience with large trucks (none). I have crossed my fingers and driven many vehicles that barely limped home, some more than 50 miles, with nothing but success...but I never felt like I was putting other peoples lives in danger.

Anyways, I think the best way would be to purchase one from someone that has already looked it over and driven it. I realize this will end up costing a little more, but would be worth the peace of mind. Ultimately I know that this wont be my only one, and I would feel much better about picking one up from GL after I am familiar with the vehicle.

Long story short...let me know if you have one, or know of one, within 300 miles of NW houston that is streetable and on the lower end of the price spectrum, it doesn't have to be pretty.

wsucougarx

I hear you on the 300+ mile drive. I was a bit leary driving a site unseen truck I won off GL. It had some braking issues that were resolved after a couple hours. I then drove her 170 miles home. Seems once she gets going and you don't over rev her you'll be okay. I was a bit too careful in that I didn't get over 45 MPH on a 70 MPH road. Just didn't want to chance anything. Have anyone that can go with you for a chase vehicle? I definately does add a peace of mind in case something happens. Bring all your tools, extras of everything and say a bunch of prayers...you'll be ok. I've driven home 3 GL deuces so far w/out a hitch:razz:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold 4 trucks to Barrman and Sermis. They picked them up in OKC and drove them to the Austin area. No major problems.

I have another one that I have just finished cleaning the fuel system on.

My luck with GL has been very good. Out of 7 trucks only one wouldn't run. GSA on the other hand....:cry:. I just picked up a 30KW genset from GL and should have it running today.

I will say it is nice to be able to "kick the tires" on any item you buy. If you are interested in my truck, send me a PM and we will talk details.

Warthog

deess

:-DI live in crosby and i picked up one of my deuces from sanantonio.no problems.if you need some help or advice pm me and we can talk.i have acces to a towbar,maybe i could drag it home for you. shane

txdodge43man

I live in north houston My self I belong to the Military Museum of Texas in houston. I have one but it dosent have a title yet and needs some work. Are you looking depot rebuild one thats ready to go or a runner that needs some TLC? Let me know your price range. I know some people with trucks that might want to sell one.

c3bosco

I want something that runs and drives but needs some love...my price range is sub $3000, I realize this is low, but it seems like many people have had good luck finding trucks in this category and price range. If it doesn't have a title, but I could get one...thats fine.

...you guys are close to convincing me to suck it up and buy one from GL. I talked to them today about some trucks I was looking at...they guy wasn't currently on the lot, but seemed real helpful. I asked if most of them were driven onto the lot, he said he was pretty sure that all of them up for sale were, he was 99% sure that there would be no issues getting any of them started and moving.

Last edited:

Barrman

Welcome to the fun. I have 3 90 miles from you in Giddings. One of mine came from Wart Hog who posted above. I think the one he still has will make it down I-45 just fine to your place. Send him a PM.

Sermis in Temple also might have one.

My sister lives in your town. I was just there Friday.

uoa

I've seen the one Warthog is selling. It is a nice truck and I've personally seen it running. He's a good guy too, Im sure he will help you with anything you would need!

c3bosco

I've done it...i bought one off GL at Camp Shelby, MS...a crazy 500 miles from it's future home(if it makes it). It was an accident...an accident that it seems many have made, it went for $800. The crazy thing is, my truck looked to be one of the more, if not the most, expensive non-winch truck.

I'd like to thank all you you for the good and quick advice, I didn't plan on winning this truck (shouldn't have bid then I guess), and a big part of me still wants to go look at Warthog's truck and buy it if I like it.

I plan on starting a new thread on the truck as I will be needing advice on getting it home, and where to stop along the way.

Attachments

texas4wheeler

i drove mine 475 miles, one way from oklahoma to dayton tx , my advice would be to bring a pillow to sit on, people always forget to tell you that the seats are like a riding on a brick, good luck

cleb

When I got my first M35A2 I went the GL route. I had the help of a member here throughout the process. He looked over the truck I picked, and came with me the day we picked it up. He was also going to provide a tow if something went wrong. It was WELL worth the money and peace of mind. It still ended up being cheeper than buying from a private party. I knew quite a bit about the truck before I went to pick it up, but he still educated me on some tips/tricks. If you do go the GL route, try and find a member that does it often to go with you. It worked out very well for me. Be sure to inspect anything you might bid on, and if you can drag someone that knows a bunch about these trucks with you, that would be ideal. For the recovery, have every filter and fluid the truck takes. Its a bit expensive, but in most cases you'll end up replacing the fluids/filters anyways. If not, keep if for the next recovery, thats what I did! My auction ended at $1870 for a without winch bare bones M35A2. Soft top, no troop seats, no heater, 800 or so hours and 18k miles, and some minor surface rust. It ended up being $2220 or so with tax and buyers premium. By the time I bought all the fluids/filters, and paid for the help, the truck cost me $3k at my doorstep.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks