• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Advice after high water rescue M939

3poffroad

Hey guys i'm not sure if anyone has seen it but we have substantial flooding down here in Houston. I've been using my M925 to assist the Game Warden's and the National Guard The past 2 days in anywhere from 2-8 feet of water. I know my truck will need some serious maintenance after this, and its being donated by a local Fuel and Oil company. Now i just want to know if there is anything i need to look out for while doing this. Ive checked the Motor oil, trans fluid and air filter a couple times a day. I know for a fact there is oil inside the diffs, just not sure when i can change the fluids. The Brakes seem a little less responsive as well. Anything to look for there?

Thanks for any help guys! it"s bad out here! The steering wheel was almost under water last night while we were getting folks out!

Last edited by a moderator:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for your help. We've been watching this all play out on the news and praying the rain would slow down. After 5 years of drought it decided to make up for it the last 6 months or so. Good luck with you maintenance.

dmetalmiki

Firstly You need a GREAT BIG thank you and a HUGE thumbs up for your Stirling (voluntary) efforts. When the operations are over you will need to drain all the fluids from everything, Check the fuel tank and the breather lines. (all). You should pull all the drums and clean and service the brakes and components. inside hubs check the integrity of the bearings and lubrication..Fronts check the grease. I know you will have applied the brakes a tad to dry things out after reaching dry roads. Just work through the servicing in a logical steady manner, it will take time and effort.
There is very useful guidance in the t.m.s ( and military operations ) To both prepare for entering and leaving both shallow and deep water fording. Post up up your operations "in action" and the eventual clean up with pictures. Again, Very well done. a good representative for the "Steel Soldiers", Members, and the hobby.

MtnSnow

1st off like the others have said...Thank you for your willingness to help others!

Unless your truck is setup with a fording kit the trips that put water up to and above the axles / wheels let alone to the steering wheel is going to make your PM's quite a bit more involved.
You will need to pull down all of your hubs and clean them out and repack all the bearings, Change out all the axles, transfer case & transmission fluids as their vents were all under water. Go through and grease/oil every lubrication point. Also did you put in the flywheel plug prior to deep water crossings higher than the transmission.

infidel got me

Mtnsnow,
What is the worst case if you don't install deep water plug? My buddy submerges his 5 ton all the time and has had no ill affects. Not trying to be a smart a^^ just wanting to know what to look out for. Thanks

The King Machine

If you are using the truck over the course of a few days and don't have time to do the PM. in the morning before you head out, just crack the drain plugs on your axles, trans, and transfer case. The water will be at the bottom, let it drain out before you head out!

74M35A2

I'd keep going for now as-is. All your driving is likely at very low speed, especially in the water. Water in the diffs really isn't going to hurt anything at low speeds and low loads. Even a lot of it, as long as it is mixing with the diff oil. Just keep going and change it out when you are done. We're all pulling for what everybody in TX is going through. If you are running over starter deep in water, and your starter doesn't work after sitting for a few weeks/months, I will send you a free modern gear reduction upgrade one for your help. Best you can do there when done is crank it for 20 seconds continuously with the fuel off to heat it up well. It will work once pulled out to dry, the failure would come later after sitting if it has water in it. Post a deep dive pic if you can, interior or exterior!

74M35A2

Thanks, but the guy who is a new member here and is selflessly using his truck as submarine to benefit others gets the kudos. I'm high and dry pounding keys on a laptop, going home to a dry bed at night.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Hey guys . I've been using my M925 to assist the Game Warden's and the National Guard The past 2 days in anywhere from 2-8 feet of water.

I hate to sound mercenary here but are any of these organisations your helping going to be contributing to the maintenance your going to have to do afterwards?

It would be perfect if you could just roll up to the National Guard motor pool and have that done for you as a thank you.

I'd hate to think your going to have to foot the bill for everything.

But either way,... Great work!

Aussie.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd hate to think your going to have to foot the bill for everything.
He mentioned that a private company was going to be paying for it. While it would be nice if the Guard could do it I'm sure they're going to be handling maintenance on their own vehicles after this.

74M35A2

Yes, he did say a company was donating such. Separately, when people are stranded on the roofs of their houses, it simply just comes down to being the right thing to do.

3poffroad

Thank you guys for the kind words. We're just some good Ole boys who wanna help. I use bought this thing a month ago and it came in huge help!!!! Been very blessed to be able to give back to our community and see so many others doing what they can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks