• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Advice...M1009/m105a2

TyJustice

I have been looking at getting a m105a2 1 1/2 ton trailer to be pulled by my M1009.

Does this set up work? I wasnt sure about the weight of the trailer and braking.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, it wont be good. While it is possible to physically hook it up, the M105 trailer has air brakes, and is WAY TOO HEAVY for the CUCV... The trailer will push the CUCV arround.. It's rather unsafe...

What you want AT THE MOST is a M101 series trailer (3/4 ton)... The -10 says a M416 type (1/4 ton) trailer is the only authorized trailer for the M1009.

To sum it up, the 1/4 ton good, the 3/4 ton ehhh maybe, the 1.5 ton hell no.

TyJustice

Thanks for the quick response.

How often do the trailers you listed below come up for auction? I have watching for some time now and all I have seen are the 1 1/2 tons.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are out there, just keep your eyes open. If you can find a model with Surge Brakes, thats even better (M101A2 & M101A3).

The prices are higher for M101 series than for M105 series as the M101's are much more useful to many more people than the 1.5 tonners are.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This will give you an idea of the size of an M105 compared to your M1009, since my POV (Tahoe) is roughly the same size as my 1009. The M105, and even the M101, are a lot bigger, and heavier, than you would think unless you see them next to something to give scale.
I threw in a pic of the M101 (tan) behind the Tahoe also, I'm only willing to tow it empty since the trailer I have is without brakes.

Cheers

Edit- Found a picture of Sarge's M101 (with CUCV compatible axles) behind his M1009.

Attachments

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those pics also clearly show the major differences between the M101/M101A1 and M101A2/A3's The tan one is a M101 or M101A1, without the surge brakes, and with the "old style" M37 rims/tires.

The one with the nice camo paint job is a M101A2, and has the surge brakes (visible on drawbar behind the lunette) and the 8 bolt "CUCV 8 bolt" style wheels/tires.

The only major differences between the M101A2's and M101A3 is the A3's have HMMWV rims/tires and larger fenders.

This link shows the differences pretty well, and what the surge brakes look like. http://www.armyproperty.com/Equipment-Info/M101-Trailer.htm

If you can find a M101A2 or A3 with the surge brakes, you'll be a happy guy.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks