• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice on insurance, historic, no garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdub

Recovry4x4 said:
Try Gulfway in FL. They insure my trucks without the garage clause and do it very well.

Not a problem at all with Gullway either. I didn't shop around, I go for the Service over Cost any day........!!!

salt6

I just checked with the ones listed in this post. All want to place some limits of some kind.
Well, while down at my barber he recommended an insurer here in town. 20 minutes after I stopped there, my MUTT is insured and no conditions. You need to go and find an Independent Insurance Agent who can check multiple insurers. They will work to get you insured so they can make some money. :D

jeli

Santa, I went with Continental in July. I dealt with the home office in Luverne, MN. The lady I spoke to did require I have it stored in a building. She had no problem with the fact it is parked at a friend's location and not my own. As far as dailey driving that is not part of the base policy. In the application you could add that feature. They ask you how many times you plan on driving it to work. The base policy is for 2500 miles per year and no dailey driving. With the upgrade you are covered and your mileage limit is doubled to 5000 miles. I put down I would be driving it to work eight times per year. Considering I drive to work over 200 times per year normally and haven't had an accident they can try and figure out if eight is realistic!!! The upgrade does double the parts of the policy they cover liability. It turned my $65 policy on a 3K truck into $82. Big deal. Still no hauling but what little I do is close to home.

Unless you haul or tow a bunch a collector plate is the way to go. $25.00 for a lifetime plate in MN. Call me cheap!!!!!

You have to remember many of these collector insurance companies are insuring very special high priced collector cars that if damaged will cost a fortune to fix or replace. They need to minimize risk as best they can. You at least have a few bucks in your truck to warrant full coverage. I have to laugh at the fact my has full coverage.

thewolfman

insurance for 5 ton in ohio

I was also looking for insurance for a 5 ton in ohio. The local independent agents are of no help. Progressive says they insure them, but only for parades and it sounds like you have to haul them there. Makes no sense, i guess they don't want our money. If anyone knows of a place to insure a 5 ton in ohio i would appreciate it, thanks.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My advice would be to get the minimum required by your state. The insurance people are not stupid. They will only pay at best, what you paid for your vehicle at GL but they will be glad to have you pay them for full coverage if you are stupid enough to ask for it..
Most states require insurance companies to pay "fair market value" if you have full coverage on your vehicle. That's what the "average" person can buy the vehicle for on the "retail" market. As GL is not retail they cannot use it or other "auction" sites as the value. You can also gather your own valuation information to submit to them for consideration, not that they have to accept it but take them to small claims court and the judge will.

Tell the insurance company a lie though and get caught at it. They can instantly dump your policy with zero refund. If they catch you lying during the process of investigating a claim and you'll find yourself without coverage and possibly involved in a criminal matter of insurance fraud.

I have full coverage on my deuce and I will get more than I paid GL for it if it's totalled due to a covered loss. Gulfway full coverage is an "agreed value" policy which means both you and the insurance company agree to the value of the vehicle not what you paid for it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mckoen, I deleted that post(you quoted).

That poster obviously does not know what he's talking about and gave very bad advise. So bad, I deleted it. Suggesting illegal activity is not gonna fly here on SS.

kastein

FYI - I contacted Gulfway yesterday.

They are unable to write insurance policies in Massachusetts. So are State Farm and Geico.

The search continues...

If it weren't for the fact I'd probably get bagged for tax evasion I would simply register and insure my truck at a friend's place in NH. 3 different friends have offered to do this for me.

I think I will escape to VT or NH when it comes time to move again in 5 to 10 years. And I'm saving up for hunting/camping land in some non-communist state (likely one of those two) in the meantime.

Dave08

Well everyone, I have read all the threads in this posting. I too was stimied by the insurance problem. Tow4 recommended Gulfway Insurers. I contacted them and got a reasonable quote for both my M109A3s at $470 per year. This policy does not have any restrictions and I do not have to keep it in a garage. The declared value on both my vehicles was quoted as $5K each. I am very pleased. I also am a USAA member and have all my other insurance (Car, Boats, and House) with them but they also own Progressive. They transferred me to Progressive but when I told them that I would occassionally use the vehicle off road they refused to insure me. Gulfway came through with no problems and the state of Florida is a pain on auto insurance. I highly recommend Gulfway Insurers for your MV insurance needs. They can write policies in just about all states but you would have to check. They are actually using Travelers Insurance as that is who I had to make the payment out to.
Dave08

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks