• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Advice

The newer 5-tons are the flavor of the month but even they are being replaced by the even sexier LMTVs.

If you want something that's fun to drive, manual transmission and steering then get a Deuce. Plus it will run on waste motor oil.

If you want something that's fun to drive, manual transmission and power steering but bigger then get an M809 series 5-ton. It will run some waste motor oil although I only run diesel in mine.

If you want something that's fun to drive, auto transmission and power steering and even bigger then get an M939 series 5-ton. Depending on the engine you can still run some waste oil.

If you want something that's fun to drive, auto and P/S and looks like the latest MVs used by the US then get an LMTV. Be prepared to spend a lot of money on one though.

Price wise they start at the beginning of my list and go up. I didn't mention the big boys, HEMTT, PLS or MK48 or M915 or M916 or M920 or HET.

For the money you can't beat a Deuce for the fun and the C turbo gives you the cool factor sitting at a light or driving around town. that is until you can't stand to listen to it anymore and get the D turbo. :)
Maybe I'm weird, but I love the sound of that C turbo!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
There are some m35a2 s with power steering.

One of the biggest events is the GA Rally. Its held half way way between Atlanta and Augusta just north of i20 in October of each year. It s a great place to learn about the vehicle capabilities. You may want to check fl rules on 5tons and cdl license.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to buy a Deuce and have large beautiful visions of buying a junker and fixing it up to beautiful condition, FORGET IT! You will have way more money and time into the truck than it is worth. Your really nice better than average Deuce is worth around 12 to 14$ and if you do a good job fixing one up including tires that are 90% or better, everything works and its got new paint and stencils you will have between 15K and 17K$ into it. Look around and you will find somebody who has done all this stuff and that person will be in a position where it needs to be sold and you will get it for 12K$, the only thing left for you to do is drive it and enjoy it!
And you may ask your self how does this guy know so much about this subject? Whatever, I refused to accept the 5K$ loss and kept the truck!
Karl

sandcobra164

I sold mine for $5,500 and it looked like this. Certainly not a museum piece but it had 95% or better Firestone T831 tires on it, spin on filters all around, new canvas over the cab and cargo area, fiberglass uprights. Maintenance on the truck included annual hub servicing, all fluids changed. New parts included turbo change from D to C, master cylinder, air pack, hard brake lines to stainless and new rubber hoses, a few wheel cylinders, axle seals, etc. All normal stuff to keep a truck on the road. Perhaps I sold short guessing by your value assigned. Deuces are somewhat plentiful in the southern states. My old one is now a farm truck. I owned it for 5 years so I could hardly be called a flipper. I sold it so I could purchase a M923.

Attachments

I tend to agree more with sandcobra. I don't know about a "better than average" deuce being worth ~$14k. I had the newer M35A3, completely tricked it out (pic below and build thread in signature), and sold it for less than $9k (I wasn't in a hurry to sell either and I would rate it in excellent condition, maybe 95th percentile). That was three years ago, and although I think everything is overpriced today, someone would be crazy to spend ~$14k on just a "better than average" deuce.

Shinny Tires.jpg

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Deuce is like a Town Car compared to a 5 Ton. Unless one has a specific use for a bigger truck, a Deuce is adequate. Get the best one you can afford!

sandcobra164

Now to clarify, I think Deuces are awesome trucks. ¨Big Trucks¨ was my first personally owned MV and I enjoyed the mess out of our time together. He towed quite a bit of stuff off base that many would think he had no business attempting. He went to 5 SSGR MV Rallies in 6 years of ownership. He only missed last year as I had no driver lined up. I had an opportunity to get into the 5 ton areana and I took it with both hands. I purchased a nicely maintained M923A0 and made it into an A1 somewhat. Still have to figure out the spare tire mount. ¨Big Trucks¨ was the name given by my oldest son and it stuck. He was a solid truck but even with a muffler, the boys shunned him for a CUCV which is known as ¨Sarge¨. Now that I have the 5 ton named ¨General Non Sense¨ my boys love riding in a big truck again. As a Dad, I enjoy my hobby more if the kids want to ride in it.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You're lucky, you have a soldier B and C to help. Some of us have come to the conclusion we are getting to be too old to hump 300 pound tires during services. It became all I could do was deal with the A3 wheel assembly. Hence, I'm getting rid of my toys. New job, new priorities but I'll be keeping the MB.

sandcobra164

You're lucky, you have a soldier B and C to help. Some of us have come to the conclusion we are getting to be too old to hump 300 pound tires during services. It became all I could do was deal with the A3 wheel assembly. Hence, I'm getting rid of my toys. New job, new priorities but I'll be keeping the MB.
Soldiers B and C are currently 7 and 9. I doubt they will be much help in helping with tire removal or hub services anytime soon. They really enjoy the quieter vehicles and that was the primary reason for crossing into the CUCV and M939 5 Ton arena. First few pictures are from the Deuce days, last 5 are more recent.

Attachments

Doug Roberts

I'd advise you to view some videos of operating these trucks , and drive one if possible. The Deuce is the 'classic old school truck' , no power steering , no automatic transmissions ( cept the A3 ). Multi fuel is a diesel engine but has the capibility to burn waste oil and other fuels. And you ask which truck , many of us find we have to have one of each ( at a minimum ) ... it happens ....often

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own a couple of Deuces, a 931, a 920, and have driven a 915 as well as a 1070. My favorite truck to drive is still the Deuce; it has its own character that is completely separate from any other truck. Double-clutching (or even clutchless shifting), as well as heel-toe shifting is an art unto itself and really brings out the driving experience with Deuces. They are just fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks