• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need alittle help with 12V add ons and the m35

MrM4

I recently installed a 9 inch lift on my M109 and I thought it would be wise to have backup camera to use a rear veiw mirror. Basically something that would mount above my hitch and run all the time so I could see behind me for traffic or if I have to backaround alittle in a parking lot, things like that.

I've been reading allot of threads about guys using equalizers and 2nd 12 volt Alternators, I've read about TMs mod and pretty much any thread I could find on 12v stuff. So far I'm lost ( juice is not my department to start with). I really dont think I want to add another Alt and the Equilizer sounds like a fair amount of $ for something I think I could do with a converter alot cheaper.

My idea was to buy a 24v to 12 converter capable of handling the load and use it to feed a separate 12v battery that I could run my back up camera system off of and maybe a couple of KC Day lighters for night use (12v of course).

Is there any reason a person could not safely do this?

merlot566jka

the 12v alternator kit from TM America was simple, cheap and works great... I wouldnt have done it any other way...

I run lights, guages, inverter, heaters, cellphone chargers, and anything I need on my 12v system. I use an optima yellow top for the battery. I can jump stranded vehicles too. its handy.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have the 24v-12v converter from Headwizard and it is great(and can be setup to maintain a 12v batt), but the 12v alt is a great option. If you have much need for 12v, the dedicated system is the way I would go. The converter puts out 35amp, if you use much more, that will tax the battery.

quickfarms

"the 12v alternator kit from TM America was simple, cheap and works great... I wouldnt have done it any other way..."

merlot566jka Can you post a link to this kit?

merlot566jka

It was done through pm's here on the forum. He is a member here. I think if you search for alternator kit it will come up. Or maybe dual (duel) alternator... It's a 10si alt, 60a.

GHILL55

I went with the 24-12 vdc converter route coupled to 2 Optima yellow tops for the on board electronics. CB, Stereo, camera and alarm system. Liked it so well that I'm using a 2nd converter in my camper setup to run lights, stereo, alarm and Ham radio gear - this system is hooked up to 6 Optima yellow tops mounted under one of the bench seats - the other side is a 24vdc battery bank system for the back up diesel heater system and 24v flood lights.

eagle4g63

I have the 24v civilian alternator kit from TM America, great kit, I still need to get off my butt and grab one of his 12v kits so I can have both. The sad thing is he lives about 5 minutes from my house and I drive by him almost everyday:shock:

deuceaid

Banned
how many amps do you need for the kc lights You are thinking of, that sounds like the bigest load, and will determine what you need. once you have 12 volts you may want to add stuff down the road and the 12 volt alt may be the way to go ( it will be my setup when I get around to it)

MrM4

I need to find out more about the load for the KCs. The Main thing is the camera at this point but I dont want to find out that I need a bigger coverter down the road or to find out that a Alt setup would have been cheaper, large converters cost larger dollars ofcourse.

Last edited:

212sparky

I use a converter for my loads such as stereo, inverter, gps. But my driving lights i 12 volt run in series (as long as they are a matched set) on the 24 volt truck system. It keeps the load off of the converter and is simple to set up.

steelandcanvas

I need to find out more about the load for the KCs. The Main thing is the camera at this point but I dont want to find out that I need a bigger coverter down the road or to find out that a Alt setup would have been cheaper, large converters cost larger dollars ofcourse.
Buy what you require for the loads you intend to use and go one size up to allow for expansion. Also, remember you won't be using all the loads at the same time. Find all of you amp draws on your equipment, write them down on paper and play around with the numbers. For example: I won't be using this thing while using that thing, I might want to use these two things together, etc. Good luck! Don't make it anymore difficult than it is, it's all numbers.

Seth_O

I did all the research and decided the 12v alt was the way to go. I liked the isolation from my 24v power - so even if I totally drain the battery or something catostrophic happens to my 12v power, my truck can still start itself up and drive home.

Also, be honest about what you want to do - I started thinking through what I would like to do and realized I could easily use enough juice to require an alt (gps/cell phone, 12v lights, 12v cab heater, trailer hookups, winch, etc.....) TM's 12v setup is cheap, effective, provides virtually limitless amounts of civvy power and is a relatively simple install. Highly recommended.

59apache

Chipmaker
I did all the research and decided the 12v alt was the way to go. I liked the isolation from my 24v power - so even if I totally drain the battery or something catostrophic happens to my 12v power, my truck can still start itself up and drive home.

Also, be honest about what you want to do - I started thinking through what I would like to do and realized I could easily use enough juice to require an alt (gps/cell phone, 12v lights, 12v cab heater, trailer hookups, winch, etc.....) TM's 12v setup is cheap, effective, provides virtually limitless amounts of civvy power and is a relatively simple install. Highly recommended.
[thumbzup]

and sooner or later a cooler, ASO

these are exactly the reasons for my 12V setup.

59apache

Chipmaker
according to their homepage Lights « Daylighter « KC HiLiTES: Auxiliary Lighting, Off Road Lights, HID Off Road Lights, Fog Lights, LED Light Bars, Driving Lights, Light Bars, Wiring Accessories, Flashlights, Torches

daylightwers are availible in 100W resp. 130W = 8,3A resp. 10,8A EACH

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks