• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need an "MRAP" valve stem replacement

WRMorrison

I purchased some MRAP-style replacement wheels for my project ( My Bobber Thread ) and I'm just now getting around to working on them. I broke an o-ring, but I believe I've got that handled (won't really know until I can air them up). Now, I'm having issues with the valve stems. A large bore adapter was included with my wheel adapters (thanks peashooter!), but I don't think it's gonna work for me. My valve stem (pictured below) was attached to the CTIS system and never had a valve core installed. So, I picked up 4 large bore valve cores and 3 additional adapters. But, there are no internal threads to screw the cores into...it's a smooth bore. Now what?? I assume that I need to replace the stems on all four wheels, and will be stopping by the tire store tomorrow (Arizona Rubber Co.).

But for the sake of conversation, has this problem come up before and how was it solved?

20130908_220750.jpg

-WRM

Last edited:

DatGuyC

I ran into this same problem with my wheels. Took me forever to find out I needed something called a tire valve spud that clamps in from both sides of the wheel rim. You screw the valve stems into those. I forget the size but you just need to measure the hole to find out.

20503.jpg

Last edited:

peashooter

I assume that I need to replace the stems on all four wheels, and will be stopping by the tire store tomorrow (Arizona Rubber Co.).

But for the sake of conversation, has this problem come up before and how was it solved?

View attachment 450654

-WRM
I wonder if there is a easy way to mount something over the end of your stems. What size thread is that? 1/8npt,1/4 npt?
Otherwise you can just start from scratch like DatGuyC mentioned. You can either go with standard valve stems or the large bores. I can help you source the right ones if needed. Just let me know what size hole is in the wheel for the spud to enter, and what length (H dimension) you would like. I know that large bore stems with the H dimension of 5",7", 8" are common, but 6" isnt something I can easily find at least in Large bore. A new complete large bore valve stem will run about $15 from sources I'm familiar with. The part numbers will look something like J-690, J-691, etc.
Here is a link to a haltec catalog page that should help out. http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/b011b0f8#/b011b0f8/16

I'm just not as familiar with the standard bore valve stems, so I would guess there is an even easier and cheaper way to do it with them. Plus you wouldnt need the goofy large bore valve stem tools then. I've had a fair amount of folks ask me about the replacement valve stems for the FMTV wheels for people who convert them from CTIS also. I should look more into it but I think there are a few threads on here about converting the FMTV wheels to standard valve stems and I would think it might even be the same size spud hole. Its probably worth a search for FMTV valve stems.

Attachments

WRMorrison

For reference, the measurements from my stem are:

Rim Hole = .803-.804
Length from center of rim hole = ~6.250
Offset = ~.750
Angle = (2X) 8-12°

-WRM

WRMorrison

After looking at a few different options, the tire store and myself decided that this was probably the best replacement:

12301120 valve stem.jpg

It's PN is 12301120, and it's supposedly the valve stem used on the M900 series trucks with CTIS. All the measurements look like they're pretty much spot-on, so hopefully they'll work. They already have the standard bore valves, so no need for an adapter. The only problem is that they only had 3 stems in stock; I'll have to look around for another locally. The price wasn't too bad though; approximately $19 each out the door.

It also has another valve at the rear of the stem (standard-sized bore); I might end up removing that part and plugging the hole if it causes some sort of fitment issue.

-WRM

WRMorrison

Another possible fix for anyone else in this situation (too late for me) if you have access to a lathe: buy the female valve stem part (the little plug you see in the rear of my new stem), and turn down the threads until it will fit inside the stock valve stem. From there, you could probably silver solder it in place and call it a day. I don't know for sure though, as I've obviously not tried it.

-WRM

DatGuyC

Thanks for the reply DatGuyC. After installing the "spud," where did you find the long stem to screw into them?

-WRM
I didn't. The wheels on my truck are off the M1076 which has less offset than the MRAP wheels and the spud is on the outside of the wheel face so I could just screw in a straight valve.
IMG_20130909_192909_066.jpg

WRMorrison

I use Haltec J-690 Large-Bore Turret Valves; work PERFECT for MRAP, FMTV, and HEMTT wheels:

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/product/677/wh330j690-large-bore-turret-valve-hawh330j690

These folks have great prices & great service; I go to them for all of my Haltec needs. If they don't have it, I usually turn to All Tire Supply as a backup.
The price is certainly right, but at ~4.75" long, aren't they a bit short? I don't have any of my wheels/tires in front of me, but I don't remember much of the valve sticking outside of the wheel and mine are a little over 6.25" long. Do you have to use some sort of extension to reach them?

-WRM

peashooter

Ah, I got'cha...I didn't know they just altered the end of the part number for a different length.

-WRM
Yes its certainly confusing because not all manufacturers offer different lengths, only some do. I dont think Haltec has multiple lengths. There are quite a few mfgs of these things and often its the smaller mfgs that have more variety. Eitherway, let us know what you use for the remainder of the stems you get or if you just buy more of the 12301120. Also that sounds like a good price to me at just $19. Most places I have seen with those 5 ton stems want about $30/ea. Take care

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The price is certainly right, but at ~4.75" long, aren't they a bit short? I don't have any of my wheels/tires in front of me, but I don't remember much of the valve sticking outside of the wheel and mine are a little over 6.25" long. Do you have to use some sort of extension to reach them?

-WRM
I have them on my MRAP, FMTV, and HEMTT wheels...they work just fine with about 1/2" of the end sticking out of the FMTV & MRAP wheels; the HEMTT wheels the turret valves are almost flush with the outside face of the wheel, but the opening in the wheel is large enough to reach in & remove the cap. I prefer these, but YMMV.