• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Assistance! MEP-003 failure!

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power went out, so started up the MEP-003 and it ran beautifully for about 20 minutes, then utterly failed. No readings on any of the gauges, nothing.

We don't have access to the manuals at the moment, so any suggestions will be most gratefully appreciated.

tstone

rosie, this may sound elementary, but did you check either of the 2 external control breakers (not the 3 phase breaker).

Good luck!

Jimc

i think we need some more info. The pushbutton breaker first as stone said. Other than that you could have that condition if you have dead batteries and your dc charging system is inop. Is everything on the gen completely dead? Wont crank?

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Initially cranked and ran beautifully, but then just quit. Won't crank, no panel lights, nothing.

Thanks so much for input, grateful for any assistance.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the charging/control circuit breaker is tripped, it may be a bad noise suppressor on one of the fuel pumps. Seen it before. They can be eliminated completely. Test first.

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, here is the current update. One of the members, Chris, is being extremely supportive, and has offered many suggestions by phone. At daylight on Sun. morning, I went out and checked the machine over. The first thing I did was disconnect the batteries, and noticed that the ground on the battery was warm I checked the voltage on both the batteries, and they were slightly down, 11.something V each. I removed them from the generator and replaced them with a pair of fully charged batteries, 12.9 V+ each. On connecting the ground, that terminal arced. So the batteries were removed from the generator, and then I removed the starter motor. Cleaned all the terminals really well, and installed a new starter motor. Checked and cleaned the grounds to the chassis, motor, etc. and re-installed the batteries. On connecting the ground to the starter, this time there was no arc. I thought I had got it.

Went to control panel, and, yes, the control panel lights came on. Moved the master switch to prime the pumps, and everything started up. Beautiful!! Started the generator, and yes, it fired straight up. I allowed it to warm up, and threw the transfer switch and it started operating the whole house, drawing about 17% of capacity. It ran great for about 15 minutes, and stopped cold. Same disaster.

Instantly turned the master switch off, and removed the ground from the battery. The only difference this time is on reconnecting the ground, there is no arcing from the battery to starter terminal.

So now the batteries are disconnected, and my intention is to take the first starter motor into the shop tomorrow, and have it overhauled/rebuilt. Fellow member Chris has suggested adding additional grounds, engine block to frame, frame to battery, etc. which I intend to do as soon as I am able to get another known working starter.

Guys, every bit of input you've helped me with is greatly appreciated, and Chris, thank you so much for your phone assistance and help especially. I can't afford to burn up starter motors every time the power goes out!

We'll keep you all updated.

Jimc

rosie just an fyi, probably for what it cost to have that starter rebuilt you can get a brand new, new style gear reduction type starter. part# 191-1948. due to the big rule at the top i cant say where you can get one. send me a pm. grounds are always a problem on these generators just from being out in the weather and sitting for 30 years. when i rebuild mine i go to great lengths to be sure every component is grounded really well with good connections.

since it ran for 15min and shutdown could it be the high temp switch shutting it down. are the louvers wide open? do you feel like it was overheating?

johnray13

I agree with Jim that it sounds like you may have another problem along with the battery-grounding issue. The louvers could be sticking shut so maybe a couple of shots of WD-40 and keep an eye on them as the engine warms and they open (shouldn't take long in warm weather)

Also, I would double check the oil level and ensure the rear shroud is unobstructed at the fan grill and all the motor covers are closed and in place while the set is running. I have noticed mine gets hot quick with the side cover open.

Good luck,
John

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today's update, guys: have ordered a new air reduction starter motor, and unfortunately will not be able to get back to the machine until Saturday though I intend to go back through everything again following all your wonderful suggestions. Thank you so much for your support, and will keep you updated,

"rosie"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks