• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Assistance My M1009 wont Crank

Ryanm1009

Hey Guys, this is my first post to SS, but I have been reading and using the information on this site for quite a while. To start out, I've tried searching through other threads but I haven't found a solution yet. If you know of a thread that would help me, I would appreciate it if you posted a link. A few nights ago, I pulled my m1009 into the garage and worked on the tail gate for about an hour. Once I finished, I tried to start the truck, and I got only the click click when i tried to crank it. I have it click click on me in the past, but it has cranked after a few tries. I have gone under the truck with a multimeter and tried to get a voltage reading on the starter but have had some weird results. On the big power terminal on the starter, I always have 24v. When reading the S terminal, I put the multimeter on, and had a helper crank the truck. On the first try, I got a voltage spike, but after trying to crank it once, I got no voltage. I tried again the next day, and had the same result, with one voltage spike on the first try, but none after. I brought my batteries to a shop to have them tested, one of them has 850 CCA and the other has 719(I tried jumping it with two jump boxes with no result). The mechanic said that i should replace the lower one, but it isnt bad enough to cause the no crank condition. He recommended that I try to jumper the starter S terminal to the big power terminal with a screw driver. I tried that, and only got a big arc, and it sounded like the solenoid in the starter clicked, but the starter did not turn over at all. Can anyone help me?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ryanm, welcome to the site. They don't like help in thread titles, someone will fix that for you. I just fixed a 09 that had your symptoms. Good batteries and starter, but no crank. Two possibilities, corrosion at the ring terminals on the terminal strip on the firewall, or bad connections on the cable lugs at the ends of the various battery cables. Hook your meter to ground and place the other probe on the various connections, and see which goes from 24 to 0 when someone cranks it.

Ryanm1009

Sorry about that, Ill make sure not to do it again. Ill go check for corrosion, but I dont quite understand what you mean by the cable lugs at the ends of various battery cables. Are you talking about where the cables attach to the battery Terminals?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ill go check for corrosion, but I dont quite understand what you mean by the cable lugs at the ends of various battery cables. Are you talking about where the cables attach to the battery Terminals?
Yes. But also where the copper wire is crimped to the terminal. That was the culprit in the repair I made.

cpf240

Your 'click click click' symptoms sound just like a bad battery. When they were tested, I presume a load tester was used. If so, then I would probably want to replace them, at least so that they matched. However, I would think that if they passed the load test, then they should be enough to start the truck. So, that leaves a bad connection on one, or more, of the battery terminals or the heavy cable to the starter as a possibility. Another thought would be that maybe the starter solenoid is engaging, but its contacts that provide power to the starter are carboned up.

Just my 2cents

Ryanm1009

I replaced the starter with a unit from DB electrical for 103 dollars shipped. She fires right up! Turns out I was missing the little stud in the old starter. I put the new stud in, and I'm going to get a nylock nut for it. It looks slightly misaligned with the trans cover plate when all the bolts are in, but it cranks just fine. It makes kind of a high pitched squeal though. Can't tell if I just need to shim it or thats they way the new starter sounds