• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Fording Kit Info

Outdoorbum

I think I found a fording kit but it has no instructions and I am not sure if all the parts are there (the box was broken). Can anyone provide a parts list or installation instructions? Please and thanks in advance.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here some pics of what I got: parts list and a few drawings, no instructions!
Also check TM9-2320-361-34P, fig. 294.
The most important part is the reduction valve. The actuator valve is identical to the one used for the front axle engagement.
Hope this helps some.

Gerhard

Attachments

houdel

Anyone have an idea on how to make a home made air intake snorkle at least? I suppose you could fab one up an acceptable one from a piece of pipe and a couple of elbows, but what to use for clamps. Or you could use flex tubing like someone on this site has, maybe cranetruck, but you'd still need the clamps. The air intake snorkle would be a good start to a fording kit, I suppose with a little ingenuity you could fab up the rest of the parts, if you knew what all goes into the kit.

There was a complete kit on ebay last week, went for $280, too rich for my blood, at least in a single bite. I could handle it a little bit at a time though.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gerhard, I have not seen the air actuator valve used (Hobbs valve ?), usually the manual "fording handle" on the dash is all, to open and close the air supply to the low pressure regulator. Interesting, is there another drawing?

Lee, here is my installation.
The support for the air intake hose/elbow is also the crankcase vent. The hose is a piece of heater duct, the elbow came from a muffler shop.
The breather is permanently hooked up since it runs through a filter.

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn's right. Mine came with the same hose as the heater duct for the snorke tube. But much longer. It is the same height as the exaust stack. The crankcase vent is also ran to the mushroon at the top. But the mushroom that comes with the kit is a different size and shape from the orignal. Mine also uses the same style valve as the front axle engage valve to run the regulator for the bellhousing.

FreightTrain

Banned
Does anyone know where I can get the Regulator?Mine was rusted up real bad when I got my kit.That is all I need.As for the snorkle,to me,it looks like a standard peice of hose from a Tanker or sand hopper trailer.I will have to check next week when I go back to work.We have sand delivered via semi and the hose looks the same.

houdel

Bjorn - From your photo it appears you support the air inlet tube with hose clamps secured to the breather extension tube. What supports he breather tube and what is it affixed to?

houdel

OK, got the picture. With the OEM deep water fording kits, how does the breather tube exit the engine compartment? Obviously it does not exit through the air inlet hole, is the side panel somehow modified to create a pass-through for the breather pipe? Is the installation of the deep water fording kit described in detail in any of the TMs?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supposed to leave that panel down when fording IIRC. Also has something to do with water escaping from the fan.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's right Kenny, the panel is off or down for the fording operation, since it's only a short time event. You can't leave the breather tube high for an extended period anyway. It would probably fill up with oil and condense water. I use a filter with sump to be able to leave it hooked up indefinetly. I cut a hole in the side panel so that It could be left up.
BTW, the oil sump on the breather filter collects about 1/10 quart of oil every 1,000 miles.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the OEM kit. You have to cut a hole in the side panel. The blueprint shows you where it goes. You then run the hose from the tube up through the hole and into the small slots in the brackets that hold the snorkle to the exaust. The hose goes all the way up into the mushroom. There is a smaller mushroom that comes with the kit. It's open with a shield for this hose to enter. I wish i could post pics. I need to get a new camara.