• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need gasser shackles source

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need 4 rear gasser shackles and pins (no mounts). I also need the front shackle mounts (2) for the gassers. :wink: Anyone have a source or spares they want to get rid of???

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i would use later mounts and shackles, the early deuces used 15/16"pins, this ment everything was 15/16, the later ones are 1" and will work with the TB adptors and pins,

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know they are 15/16. I am trying to get the M48 origional, I have a bushing set for my towbar adapters that allow me to use them with the smaller pins.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i would guess that it was still in service when the 1" was adapted it was changed over so there was no a TB hook up problem

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have to have it original, and have a hard time finding the parts you need, you might have to bushing a 1" shackle, and turn down a 1" pin on a lathe to 15/16". Just an idea.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just priced out shackles here in GA from csi $75 each like new with pins.
CSI does not have gasser shackles or any gasser parts for that matter (been there several times). I won't even go into their price (but it's usually ALOT cheaper if you are there in person). Kenny, I don't know when they quit using the smaller shackles but i'm guessing anytime they went into rework after the date of change, they got upgraded into the 1" pins. Worst case i'll get them from Hawthornes or Jack's in the spring but would have liked to get a set in the mail before that.:wink:

Last edited:

Barrman

My '52 and '53 which left the service in the '50's both had 1" pins on the front. Yes, the shackles themselves were all round compared to the newer flattened ones, but that is about the only difference I have noticed on the shackles.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have half a dozen of the 1" round ones and one of the 15/16 ones. The problem is both are not like the multi's that "fold over" the front bumper. The smaller pinned one is waaay smaller both in diameter and length (about 1"). When they are both on the front it is way obvious which is wrong. Right now I am trying to put the M48 back together and get everything working. Then after I am done with the Navy strip it down to nothing and restore /paint all parts. I am just trying to get the correct parts as it came with in early 51 (think Clinto with correct dodge tire valve stems for instance:roll:).

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly, the correct shackle for that is actually the rear one (same p/n). The later straight 1" shackles are 6" long where the earlier ones are 5" and alot smaller diameter.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, the deuce multi shackles are really big compared to the deuce gasser. How much bigger do you think ones from a 5 ton gasser would be???:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks