• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Generator Info

1942fordgpw

Could someone describe in detail the following Generator from the 1950's:

Manufacturer: US Motors Corporation

Model 30 US 10236A

Thanks

mijon

I'm looking to find out more information on my O'keffe and Merrit Generator/Phase Converter. I purchased the unit off of a government website thinking it was just a simple generator. When I took a look at the unit, after I bought it, I seen that it defiantly wasn't that. I've been told that its a Generator motor that's a phase converter??? I really don't know where to start. I've tried looking up some information on the unit but I really didn't dig up anything. If anyone can help me with information, it would be greatly appreciated. My biggest questions are what exactly is it? How do I attempt to crank over the engine? And what can I use it for? I've listed information from the maker tag below. Thanks

O'keffe and Merrit Model # MG-15-400 Serial # 78,
Motor Generator Set PU-126/U

Motor Rating
25 hp motor
Rpm at Rated Load 1735
Frequency 60
3 phase, voltage 208, rated load amps 55 per line

Generator Rating
Y connection
120/208 volts
3 phase, 4 wire
43.5 Rated load Amps per line

Triangle connection
120 volts
1 phase, 2 wire
10 kw output
104 rated amps

Jimc

Im not sure about what you have but any 3 phase motor can be a phase converter. Single phase runs the motor and it generates the other 2 legs to make 3 phase out of single. Quite common for people running 3 phase equipment when none is avail.

Triple Jim

Could someone describe in detail the following Generator from the 1950's:

Manufacturer: US Motors Corporation

Model 30 US 10236A

Thanks
I came across a thread on Smokstak about US Motors, with some clues about the current status of the company: http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14900

Also, there appears to be a German manual on it: http://books.google.com/books/about/Aggregaat_op_4_wielig_onderstel_U_S_moto.html?id=oRrOjwEACAAJ The title has a little information: "motor: Hercules motor corp. model JXLD : Generator: Kato engineering 10 : model 55 MSSS type 2531"