• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Heater Assistance

Cigarjoe

I need help trying to figure out what is wrong. The heat in my M1009 is not warm. About all it does is keep you from freezing. I replace the heat core, and I put in 190 degree thermostat and its still not hot. The stutters or doors whatever you wont to call them in the heater box seem to be opening and closing. I put cardboard on the grill today and still no heat, granted it is a back fat zero today. Please does anyone know anything else to do? My M1008 will cook you out so I know they are able to heat very well. I'm sure the gearing in the M1008 helps though.

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the hoses connected the same as your truck?

Are you sure you have no air in the heater?

Coolant level in the radiator is above the hoses?

Is the engine getting warm? Grab the hoses or use an ir gun.

cpf240

Don't forget that many replacement heater cores are not the same as the original, and the air may be flowing around them rather then through them. There are many posts on this subject. Simply adding some insulation around the core to direct the airflow may take care of the problem.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like an air-lock in the heater core. One trick you might try is to have the engine running about 1500, and carefully loosen the heater output hose, and bleed out some of the coolant/air, making sure that there is no air in it, and it flowing. I am assuming that the hoses are connected to the proper ports.

Cigarjoe

Are the hoses connected the same as your truck?

Are you sure you have no air in the heater?

Coolant level in the radiator is above the hoses?

Is the engine getting warm? Grab the hoses or use an ir gun.
Hey buddy its good to hear from you. I missed you and your wife last year at Haspin. Hope to see you there this year.

Not sure if they are hooked up the same. I will check.

Not sure about the air either. I installed the new core at the beginning of summer. I would thought the air would have been worked out by now.

Coolant level is good.

Never about checking engine temp. I will do that as well.

Cigarjoe

Don't forget that many replacement heater cores are not the same as the original, and the air may be flowing around them rather then through them. There are many posts on this subject. Simply adding some insulation around the core to direct the airflow may take care of the problem.
The new core was the same size and shape. The ports were not angled the same though. I will look into this as well thank you.

Sounds like an air-lock in the heater core. One trick you might try is to have the engine running about 1500, and carefully loosen the heater output hose, and bleed out some of the coolant/air, making sure that there is no air in it, and it flowing. I am assuming that the hoses are connected to the proper ports.
Thank you I will see if this is the problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks