• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help fast

davey8943

I would start looking at things like battery connection, battery cables, main ground....

Since the horn is hot all the time, it just about has to be a battery connection problem.

Does anything electrical work?

Dave

**edit** I am assuming your working on a deuce... maybe your talking about the M1009 in your sig? I am not sure about the horn being hot in the CUCV...

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I would start looking at things like battery connection, battery cables, main ground....

Since the horn is hot all the time, it just about has to be a battery connection problem.

Does anything electrical work?

Dave
the horn only works when the service light switch is in the on position.

give the 30 amp fuse a wiggle and see if that helps

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More than likely it is the 30amp headlight fuse. It controls almost all the dash electrical system. That is why the overload and melt the socket.

hotdogs151a2

The last 09 I had, had the same problem. The problem was the 30 amp fuse/ breaker. I found it very hot when I touched it. I removed it with my Gerber pliers, poured water over it to cool it off and reinstalled it. The lights worked again. I later replaced it. Good Luck, Pvt Hotdog

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you phone die too?

How about an update.

lindyp38

i had that same problem....it was the 30amp fuse........mine went the first time..i was driving.......all of a sudden..no lights......thank god..i had a flash light..and plenty of fuses onhand......

998Junkie

I had the same as the others. Smelled burning plastic could never find the source, one day no lights or horn. Checked the fuses and all looked good, logged in here did a search and concentrated on the 30 amp fuse. Looked at it again and then I decided to pull it out and check it, It came out but one leg was fused to the box and then I could see a little heat deformation of the fuse. A little work and leg was out and new fuse in and no problems since then.

This site saved me a lot of wasted time replacing and tearing things apart.:wink:

mistaken1

IR2 heating. Resistance in a circuit causes heat as current flows.

If the contacts at the 30A fuse are dirty/corroded then there is high resistance at that point. Also loose connections cause high resistance. Resistance equals heat, dirty/loose/corroded contact points are now acting like stove top heating elements.

As the old timers err uhh experience members point out again and again clean all the electrical contacts and make sure the connections are tight to eliminate unwanted resistance and the accompanying heat damage to electrical components.

big bad blazer

I had the same as the others. Smelled burning plastic could never find the source, one day no lights or horn. Checked the fuses and all looked good, logged in here did a search and concentrated on the 30 amp fuse. Looked at it again and then I decided to pull it out and check it, It came out but one leg was fused to the box and then I could see a little heat deformation of the fuse. A little work and leg was out and new fuse in and no problems since then.

This site saved me a lot of wasted time replacing and tearing things apart.:wink:
yeah i smelled the same thing last time i drove it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks