• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help Identifing Yr.of M-37

lynchmob

I'm posting picts. of a project M-37 I am working on. I need some giadance and assistance in trying to find identify what yr. the chassie?, yr.of the motor?, is the winch original??. As you can see, they last owner cut a hole in the hood for the motor to fit. Any and all help would be greatly appriciated........Phone Picts 119.jpgPhone Picts 143.jpgPhone Picts 150.jpgPhone Picts 109.jpgPhone Picts 105.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you are broke down on the side of the road? You life is in danger?

We reserve the "Help!!!!!" in titles for 911 emergency events. Please refrain from using it in the future unless you really need help.

As far as your truck, it is NOT a M37. Dodge made them. Yours is a Jeep. Maybe someone with Jeep experience can help with the year.

CGarbee

First off, it's not a M37... M37 is a 3/4 ton truck (pickup). You have a jeep (1/4 ton). It does not appear to to be a M38 from the dash and the grill.
That said, I don't know what it is... Perhaps some photos of the tub would help folks (tailgates didn't happen on military jeeps except the M38 and they were bolted shut so that the spare tire and jerry can could be mounted to them)... Since it has an OHV engine and you say that the hood was cut to clear it, id'ing the engine may not help with the vehicle id, but it would help you locate parts, etc.

Good luck.

snowdad

CJ2A jeep with the 134F head engine (not factory standard for a CJ2A) The winch is aftermarket. Non military as there is no glovebox on the left side. Not a WW2 MB or GPW as no glovebox on the right side and the toolbox under the front passenger seat was a CJ option and the grille is a 7 slot not a 9 slot and has setup for external headlights not internal hinged ones. Quite possibly a CJ3 but not very familiar with those. Another tell-tale sign in the notch in the dash for the steering column to fit in. They only appeared on CJ2s and later.

Dodge man

As other's have said, it's not an M-37. Someone may have told you that it's a M-38 (early military Jeep) but it doesn't have M38 features so I think it's just a Civilian Jeep, aka CJ. Looks like a CJ-2a or CJ-3A due to the flat fenders and low hood. Do a Google search or look at one of the Jeep websites such as EarlyCJ5 or TheCJ2Apage http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/cj2a-research-database_topic9571.html. They'll tell you where the serial numbers are located on the frame and they'll also tell you how to identify the model by the SN and they have ranges of SNs for each year of production.

PS. That's not the right engine in it. The flat fender, low hood jeeps ALL had the flat head L engines. Someone has put an F-head engine in your's. The F-head has exhaust valves in the block like a flat head but the intake valves are in the head like overhead valve engines. Therefore the F-head engine is taller. That's why they've cut a hole in your hood, to get the clearance needed for the engine.

PS II I'd LOVE to have that PTO that's in your's let me know if you decide to part with it!

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last active at 10:10am yesterday. I guess it wasn't that important. :-(

majorhitt

As mentioned not an M37. It may as again mentioned be a civie CJ 2or3. Even though the weld job is nasty, the best part is the winch.

6x6TRex

From what I can tell its a Willys CJ3A body on a CJ3B frame with the F-head engine and dual front/rear pto. The winch is a common option if not original. The hanging pedals are not original, stock pedals were mounted to the frame.

Go to these sites for more info:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/
http://www.cj3apage.com/
http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/

For future reference:

This is a Dodge M37
524337_10151349639456562_1893111969_n.jpg

This is a 1947 CJ2A with a CJ3A windshield
557258_10150893985826562_2085669929_n.jpg

Last edited:

AN/GRC-46

I think the grille is either a CJ-2A or a CJ-3A although i think the parking lights on those were usually inset rather than surface mount.

6x6TRex

I think the grille is either a CJ-2A or a CJ-3A although i think the parking lights on those were usually inset rather than surface mount.
Its a 1947-49 CJ2A or CJ3A grill. MBs and 1945-46 CJ2As had inset lights, 1947 and later were surface mount.

From Walck's 4 Wheel Drive:

MB Grill

mb-front.jpg

1945-46 CJ2A Grill

DMC-663536.jpg

1947-49 CJ2A or CJ3A Grill

DMC-668124.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks